Skip navigation

Hi @all

Back to the top

Greetings from german right hand drive MK1

Hello,

I'm Thomas (called Tommy) from Braunschweig/Germany. I have a rare right Hand Drive MK1 GL 4door from 1982 marsrot with german first-registration and Equipment (km/h, typesigns).
His history starts with a man, who lost his left arm at WW2 and ordered the Golf as a car for disabled persons as Right Hand Drive, with Automatic gearbox and a knob at the steering wheel. So he could shift and steer with his left arm.
I am interested in conversation with UK Golf drivers.
I'll introduce my car next days with more pictures here.
IMG_20230624_102419.jpg

Back to the top
Hi Tommy,

An interesting story about your car! and it all makes sense.

Does it have power steering? as that would have made the wheel far easier to turn for him.It looks really good in the pic too.

Are you going to keep it as a right hand drive? I hope so, though it probably isnt ideal in Germany.

Were you thinking of selling it to the UK? I guess that might be your thought ,possibly.

More pics please and a description of its life/restoration if it has had one.

Marcus.

Back to the top
Hi Marcus,

my Golf has no power streering, As I know the power steering was later availiable at MK1 Cabrio.

Of cause I keep and use it as right hand drive in germany. It took some getting used to first.

No, I don't want to sell it to UK, I'm interesting in exchange of experience specially to right hand specific parts or problems.

My car had no restauration, it is in very good condition with the ecxeption of some small paint damage from his long (20 years) of parking. His advantage is that he has only 36000 km driven yet.

You'll see it in my introduction.

Yours
Thomas

Back to the top
The problems with the right hand drive cars are clutch cable pulling through the bulkhead as there's no real strength there, not a problem with an automatic gearbox.
I've never driven a Left hand drive Mk1 so not sure how different the feel of the brakes are but having the servo the other side there's a lot of linkages to move before the servo works.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.