Skip navigation

Hey people 1990 Gti Clipper Cabriolet

Back to the top

Just saying hello showing the car

Hey my name is Phil new to posting just thought i'd give it a go here, see if i can get some pics on.
got a mk1 cabriolet 1.8 8v injection (first project proving to be difficult but which project isnt?) and im learning and usually learning the hard way haha :)

TEXT OR COMCODE GOES HERE

the daily and the project

and the engine bay which i dont think is too bad for 110k miles, structurally no major rust :)

i do have a question for anyone who may know anything on the k-jetronic injection system, got problems starting had it running a few times, but wont start first time if its starts at all. The revs will be all over the place for about a minute if it doesnt stall :(, i'm guessing its the idle control, but it mainly wont start for me, i have given her a basic service like you would with a project, changed plugs leads air filter fuel filter (i know the pump is in working condition and the fuel is getting all the way to the engine at pressure) and i have a mechanic friend who has the same enthusiasm for vw's as me and we got the ignition timing correct so were scratching our heads and not getting any answers haha.
i'm thinking it could be the cold start valve not allowing the right mixture through but i dont want to start taking parts to bits because this could cause more problems,  im a tool maker at Renold Chains in the stockport area (manchester) so i am a hands on sort of guy but just struggling at the minute any suggestion welcome
and cheers for taking the time to read and look at the bargin buy, will hopefully be seeing people at the gatherings in the near future 

Back to the top
Hey welcome Mate!

She looks good and you've come to the right place for advice. There's not another website like this one when it comes to MK1 knowledge and Oh, a whole lot of fun in the process!

Mike  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
hey welcome along to the party  :party:  :rockon:

nice looking cabby you got there, you got much planned for it??
cant help you with the engine problems im affraid but if you post up in the technical secion one of the whiz kids will get back to you :)

oh and thanks for supporting the club by becomeing a paid member so soon :D

Scott

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
Cheers for the welcome mate, i know this site is awesome everything i need to know is here or can be found from here :) cant wait to get it running and have some fun with the top down, all year round haha

Back to the top
 been a member for a month or so and done a bit of reading / learning and has all been helpful so far so i thought its only fair to pay for this service :) got a load of ideas floating around in my head, think i want to get it back to original standard, and have it as a second car for the weekends, maybe lower it with some nice wheels, nothing to crazy though vw's look awesome the way they are, to do list involves the standard restoration things, clean up the bodywork all rust areas respray (keeping the same colour i think maybe gun metal gray), new roof navy blue looks good to me planning on doing it myself haha should be fun  :lol:  and tidying up the engine bay but not changing any major parts to improve performance, il like it standard and replacing it with either new or refurbished parts and really just having fun and learning and keeping it on the road etc
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.