Skip navigation

1989 Cabriolet in California

Back to the top

1989 Cabriolet in California

Hello folks. Used to be an aircooler (1971 411 4dr) and ran across a 1989 Cabriolet for cheap.  Great technical info on this club.  Had to join this elite group!
:D

Back to the top
welcome to the site mate, was the plans with the cab then? :D

Back to the top
Just trying to keep it running.   I got over the worst of it with an AC compressor bearing failure/replacement.   Now I have the dash and wiring scattered all over the place trying to find a dimmer lead short.   

I just changed the 3 VDO gauges to white LEDs along with the ashtray.

Down the line I was planning on:
-Changing the wheels - either by paint or some other rim.
- Fixing the CV that blew the first day of ownership!   

-Replacing totally broken grille

-Getting the cheapo radio working again.

-Replacing dented rear hatch door - have a red one that's ready for painting.

By the way, it was sunny and 15 degrees C here.  8)

Back to the top
Welcome and the weather here is 1 degrees C and sunny, But definatly not a top down day, Does your boot have a High stop light, that must be a US thing?

Rob…..wishing it was 15 C here :lol:

Golf GTI Cabriolet 1990 Helios Blue - gone

Audi A4 1.9TDI - Gone :(

Golf GTTDI MK5 140…..oooh quick….but not a MK1  ;)

Back to the top
1986 US requirement for third center light
Sometime I underestimate its usefulness until I end up driving behind a very old car with no 3rd light or a new car with a burnt out one.  

Oh, and here is the rear of the little beast right now.

Back to the top
3 rd light are fitted as standard over heer on all car since mid 90's. wasn't fitted to the mk1 cab.

Shame about that dent the boot looks good apart from the damage.

Rob :D

Golf GTI Cabriolet 1990 Helios Blue - gone

Audi A4 1.9TDI - Gone :(

Golf GTTDI MK5 140…..oooh quick….but not a MK1  ;)

Back to the top
Thanks for the kind words.

Here is a more recent photo after I spent some time tidying up the wheels.  

I think they are starting to grow on me.   :dontknow:

Back to the top
Welcome to 'THE Club', ……..even though we are jealous of your weather :lol:  :lol:  and we are now 'homesick' again (spent our best month ever touring the south).
Where in Cali are you?
That rear light is growing on me……thinking cap going on. :scratch:  :scratch:

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top

Prowler said

Where in Cali are you?

It says Santa Clara on his ID in his photo link. Without checking Multimap I'm pretty sure that's up near San Francisco. Nice part of the country to have a cabrio  8)

'91 Cabriolet

Back to the top
Welcome JPX, thats a nice cabby you got there and you've got the weather for it to  8) .
I'm a big fan of BBS wheels  - maybe paint them all silver and you may like them better??? I think they suit the car though
I can't believe you've got A/C on a convertible :roll:

Back to the top

Pablo16v said

Prowler said

Where in Cali are you?

It says Santa Clara on his ID in his photo link. Without checking Multimap I'm pretty sure that's up near San Francisco. Nice part of the country to have a cabrio  8)

That's right - Santa Clara/San Jose area about 45 min from San Francisco.  Closer to the sun, but a little farther from the restoration parts you guys can get! :P

Back to the top

Hello!

Hello! Nice to have you on board! Funny to see different models of the same car in different parts of the world! I don't think the US got any of the late models we got over here! The Rivage shown in my picture and the sportline which is either red or black with black centred bbs cross spokes! It would be an interesting idea for a foreign resto to make a model that no one in their country had seen before! How cool would that be!  :D

Back to the top
World wide respect goes out to the BROWN Interior Massive!!!!

Consider yourself a member of a VERY exclusive part of the club (or so I keep telling myself  :roll: ) JPX.

I do like the high level brake light, one thing that the USA model got right (not wishing to be rude or anything!!) and the wheels look good too. Is that a leather interior that you've got there as well?

What year was it manufactured?

Dan
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.