Skip navigation

1987 Cab with issues after I bought it yesterday..........

Back to the top

1987 Cab with issues after I bought it yesterday..........

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum as you can tell (posting in here), just bought the wife a pressie. A 1987 Cab GTI.

Car runs with a bad missfire and dies as soon as you touch the accelerator, so spent the last few days researching before going collecting the car yesterday……….

It drove off the trailer on Friday (yesterday) after I had winched it on from the garage it had been sat in for a year, today after an afternoon busy at it, the car now looks like this………………..

The rear beam looks o.k but……

it needs new outer ARB straps as they have snapped, the hubs/bearings and drums/shoes are all cool

The fuel tank is goosed big time along with the fuel filler neck.

So at the moment I on the look out for a fuel filler neck, fuel tank and rear outer ARB straps for a 87 GTI cab.

I hope to have the car running well enough so I can come to the some get togethers this year.

Thanks, Lewis.

91-SW20-Turbo to 87-GTI-Rabbit, going backwards..............

Back to the top
Hi Lewis,

Welcome to the site!!

There are a number of ways to approach your problem. 1 eBay! 2 Crazyquiffs (see home page for direct link) where you will get a discount on your purchases IF you are a paid member if this club or you could use the classifieds on this forum.
£15.00 sees you right as a paid member for a year and if you have a project on the go then you'll save that in purchases and insurance in no time!!!!
I used CQ's ARB brackets a couple of months ago. Delivered the next day.

Hope that helps.

Dan

Back to the top
Hi Dan, thanks for the tips.

I will become a member ASAP as the like you said, this will be an ongoing project.

I have already had a look at the CQ`s and its great, do you get a discount from CQ`s as a member?

Back to the top
Membership paid.  :D

Also I think my GTI is a Karmann not a rabbit/clipper.

Can I change my username to 87-GTI-Karmann

Thanks, Lewis.

Back to the top
Welcome to the site mate.

You can also try big boys toys for parts.

You get a discount with all the suppliers in the left.

Also ALL cabbys were made by karmann

Back to the top

BigNormRivage said

Welcome to the site mate.

You can also try big boys toys for parts.

You get a discount with all the suppliers in the left.

Also ALL cabbys were made by karmann

O.k thanks

I`m aware they were all made by Karmann, so whats a Rivage then and whats the difference between that and a Clipper or a Karmann or an other different cabriolet.

Back to the top
The Rivage was a limited run of higher spec cabbys which were some of the last to be produced (same as the sportline)

Back to the top
Also contact funk-star on here. He can proberly supply you with some bits.

Back to the top

87-GTI-Rabbit said

Membership paid.  :D

Also I think my GTI is a Karmann not a rabbit/clipper.

Can I change my username to 87-GTI-Karmann

Thanks, Lewis.

Blimey! If only all new members paid up that quickly!!! Well done!

The lads are right, there are a number of people on here who supply parts but I'd used CQs so recommended him, and his are new parts. When/ if you contact him tell him that you've just joined and he'll check on here. 5 gold stars next to your name shows that you've paid and it's been dealt with at our end.

You can't change your registered name once input. The only way would be to re-register but it's not really worth it is it????

Back to the top
Pmed Fella.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.