Skip navigation

1986 Convertible

Back to the top

Just bought my first Golf!

So I've just bought my first Golf, and it's a convertible which is something I'm particularly pleased with!

I've bought it as a bit of a run around but home to maintain/slowly improve it over time. The list of things that need doing is almost endless depending on how picky your feeling, but the immediate things I need to fix are the speedo which doesn't work at all (neither does the odometer) and the stereo as only 1 speaker is working/wired in.

Does anyone here have experience of fixing a broken speedo? The car had a new gearbox a couple of weeks ago and from what I've read it seems to connect to that but I have no idea why it wouldn't be working. Oh and it's an automatic if thats makes any difference…

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be very welcome!

Rob

Back to the top
Hello,

welcome to the club.
Speedo issue can be the gearbox worm drive that goes to the cable that runs to the back of the clocks. There is also a gear at the clock end. Usually issue is the gearbox end.
Different years had different colour drive gears for the speedo cable, IE red, White  etc. Could be the new gear box has a different fitting compared to whats on the speedo cable. Rev counter power is run from the clocks so it could be a couple of things. Bad earth, broken circuit on the foil, Do all the other bits function on the car such as all the dash lights? if the clocks are totally dead then it could be the voltage regulator duff. I would take the clocks out and clean all the contacts on the foil where it connects to the loom plug. I wrap some leccy tape round the plastic stub the foil fits over, this actually makes for a better connection between the foil contacts and the connector.

I had an auto and loved…enjoy

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

Back to the top
Looks nice and tidy!

Nice steelies on it too.

I use photo bucket to put pics up as you can copy and paste the IMG code option into the post and it shows the piccies on site rather than linking off site.

Back to the top
Hi!

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah the other dials work, it's just the speedo and odometer. So it just a question of buying the right cable and fitting it? I've checked the cable and it seems to be all connected up properly, but the new gearbox was refurbed so maybe it is the wrong cable now? I might take the dash off and clean all behind it too, just to check. I need to do the stereo anyway!

Back to the top
No probs,

It may be the cable isn't attached properly at the clock end?
these are a bit of a pig sometimes as the drive end is square shaped and can be awkward to line up, then its a case of clipping on. These have to press in wings to unclip the speedo from the clock ends. Bit fiddley and you need to remove the dash surround, remove the plastic levers from the vent control panel, pull the fan knob off, remove the trim from the switches next to it. remove the trim panel from the headlight switch etc. This uncovers the screws to undo, there are some above the clocks and remove the steering wheel too. Label all the cables to which switch they went too. The clocks are held into place via a couple of screws then they pivot out forward then you can disconnect the connector. Youll need to remove the radio in any event. is it the origional radio?

cheers

chortle

Back to the top

Back to the top
I think it is attached properly, but I might pull it all apart to get a better look. I took the stereo out at the weekend (it's a horrible after market thing) to reattached the aerial, and whilst doing that I put my hand behind the speedo and it all felt attached. But the only way to know for sure it to take the dash of I guess!

Thanks for your help,

Rob

Back to the top
Hi

Welcome to the Mk1 Golf Owners Club, enjoy your stay and feel free to browse around the forum and ask any questions you may have, we are all a friendly bunch, and will try and help where we can : - )
If you are looking to save money make sure you check out here:
http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=purchase&type=message&id=-1&product=USERGROUP5
For just £20 a year for paid membership, you have soon saved more than the paid membership free on discounts from the partners that support our paid members, and on top of that help the club keep going.
As a club we encourage people to meet up, make new friends and share experiences and knowledge we have all had with our golfs etc , so if that's your sort of thing keep an eye on the Regional and National pages below, where there will be details of meets in and around your location. Also details of who your Regional Host is or are, feel free to contact them about meets in your area also.
http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=forumview&id=national_2
http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=forumview&id=regional_2

And finally the biggest event of the year ! ! The Mk1 Golf Owners Club - Annual Gathering. If you are looking for a great weekend or even just coming along for the day , fun and laughter, meet new people, enjoy a drive out of 90+ Mk1 Golfs, a great show and shine day on the Sunday and Auto jumble then it's not to be missed : - ) , see here for details:
http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=forumview&id=2013-annual-gathering

I look forward to meeting you at some shows / club meets in the near future
Cheers
Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.