Skip navigation

1983 Golf GX

Back to the top

1983 Golf GX

Hi everybody, just bought a 1983 Golf GX with an MOT and TAX for ?375. The interior was in excellent nick and the engine seemed sound too (i am not a mechanic!!). I still have a slightly doubting feel about the car though because i have admired them from afar and have desired one for a while but now i actually have one practicality issues begin to arise!
I was hoping this site could help me out on issues such as finding parts and discussing problems etc

Thanks for listening, Will

Back to the top
Hey, welcome to the forum.

Is it a 5 door or 3 door? What engine is it?

Hope you enjoy the forums, i'm looking for an MK1 myself.  8)

Back to the top
Welcome to the club Will! You came to the right place for advice.

Used to have a Atlas Grey GX myself over 10 years ago. Can't believe how good the bodywork was.

Post some pics when you get a chance!

Good luck
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
All GX's were 5 door with 1457cc JB engine and Pierburg 1B3 carb.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top

Pictures

I will try an get some pictures on by the weekend if all goes well!
Looks like a heavy weekend of beautifying the car at the expense of my university work and social life……..but still, its a mark 1 Golf!! :D

Back to the top
Welcome Will, just ask when you have any questions - you will usually get a quick response!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
The car does idle a bit too high (about 1000 on the rev counter), apparently it is supposed to be at about 850-950, is this correct?

If this is incorrect, is it an easy problem to fix, i have the Haynes book which says it can be altered but i don't have the correct tools.
Should i just take it to my local VW garage for a full service and get them to sort it out?

Back to the top
I'm guessing you just need a screwdriver in order to adjust the idle adjusting screw on the carb - be much cheaper than the garage!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
At a VW garage a full service and repairs to the carb with cost more than you paid for the car!  8O

Don?t start messing with the carb settings until you know the ignition side of things are OK, vacuum pipes intact, air filter is clean etc

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Thanks for the advice, although i think it was a fault of my own!! I didn't realise that the auto choke had to be stopped when the car was warmed up (i.e. by depressing the clutch and stamping on the accelorator pedal). I did this and the car seemed to idle at around 750-800 which was a signifcant improvement.
This was on the advice of my father who has had an A reg Jetta and a V reg Passat, so he knows better than me!! I myself have upgraded from a Peugeot 205 with manual choke and was not aware of the other choke types.
I will drop everyone a line if i have more probs……… 8)

Back to the top
O! HELO!
  I HAVE GX TOO! I HAVE 3 DOOR BODY NOW IN RESTRATION.IT`S NICE TO SEE ANOTHER GX IN CLUB!!!!!!!! 8)

Remember, VW made the last car in 1992. After that they started making vehicles.

Back to the top
Hello there!! My Golf overheated yesterday, turned out one of the hoses had split causing all the coolant to boil up and leak out. Hopefully fixed it now……..it better not be a head gasket problem!!
Also i need to get some green metallic paint for the car because it has been poorly resprayed on the doors where rust has been present, i hope this isn't too hard to come by!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.