Skip navigation

Petrol cap 1982 1.6 GTi

Back to the top

Which is the correct cap?

IMG_20190925_152600.jpg Hi there I'm abit anal about originality I am currently restoring my MK1 GTi in mars red which I have owned for 10 years however I'm unsure which petrol cap is correct for my model?
It has currently got a vw one with a little flap over the key hole but I seem to remember from back in the day you could see the key hole
I'll put some pictures on to show you what I'm going on about?
Thanks in advance Screenshot_20190926-180507.jpeg
This is my current one above one Screenshot_20190926-182452.jpeg

Last edit: by pujymk1

Back to the top
I'm pretty sure you should have the one with the key hole showing, the ones with the flap were fitted to campaigns I believe.  

Back to the top
Thank you
Yes I thought That was case I could do with seeing an original brochure! I'd love one of those too

Back to the top
Screenshot_20190926-195327.jpeg Just been searching eBay and Found brochure for sale ! Zoomed in and got this snap but in the mean time noticed the right hand drive brochures are a mirror image of the German photo (hence petrol cap on the wrong side of car)

Back to the top
This is what my 1982 brochure shows for the GTI, sorry for the the bad pics, I'll have to get it properly scanned in sometime

IMGP0543.JPG IMGP0544.JPG IMGP0545.JPG

Back to the top
Yes definately early one with the keyhole visible. Not all Campaigns came with the other style mine came with the earlier cap.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Back in 81 I bought a flap over cap for my Diesel Bunny as I didn't live in a great area…. I could of bought the no flap over cap, but as I lived in the Snow Belt I opted to have the extra anti-ice protection.  Both were avail at the Stealerships.  I think IIRC there was about 5 dollars difference in the caps at the time flap over was more.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Depends on original/supplied spec, maybe its so much a added item it appears on the boot sticker, where tells you colour,seats trim, steering wheel type, aerial fitted,radio type,cigarette lighter etc.

But  personally i would go cover version as update for a reason, to keep crxp out of lock, you know they didn't make cars to look pretty, if they did then the whole car industry would be still looking at wedges and and air slippy shapes(DC values).

On the drive
T25 Diesel…sameoldblueshiŁ (currently under resto)
Rocco gt2….1990 secret 2…(currently under resto)
Mk4 99 1.8t indigo blue Gti with 43k miles
Caster 93 clipper JH Green cabby
Snowy 91 GTi White cabby( sat waiting for inspiration)
Myvalver 89 GTi Grey mk2 16v
Yuppy Flu 91 GTi Flash Red Sportline

Golf mk1 owner's club on Spotify

Mk1 golf owners club playlist: Golf mk1 owner's club playlist - YouTube

Back to the top
Thanks for replies guys I'll keep my flap one and perhaps look out for a genuine plain one to keep

Back to the top
Hello, I have a late 1981 GTI, owned from new. I can assure you at that time the car came with a filler cap without the flap (i.e. one where you can see the key hole). Do not know when/if it changed to the type with the flap.

Back to the top
The cap with the flap is on late 83 cars, 
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.