Skip navigation

Wolfsburg 2006 Full Report Part 2 (56k, another cuppa?)

Back to the top

Wolfsburg 2006 Full Report Part 2 (56k, another cuppa?)

Part 2?.

On Friday afternoon I took up a special invitation to the opening of a special Cabriolet display at the VW Museum. The VW Museum is located only 5 minutes away from the Autostadt area and is a ?must see? for any visitor. Normally it only costs 6 Euros to go round and again discounts apply for large groups, the Museum is open 7 days a week too. The Cabriolet opening event included visitors from VW and special guests with some fine rag tops from old Audis, prototype Golf, Jetta and Corrado plus Beetles to the latest Eos (OK, folding hardtops too!). I was also given some very nice Mk1 Golf press photos to add to my collection and was also shown 3 special GTis that were to take place in a historic rally event sponsored by VW. :mrgreen:

Karmann?s first prototype study for the Cabriolet in 1976

Beiber?s coachbuilt version

3 specially prepared GTis just before heading off to start historic rally to celebrate 30 years of the GTi

1978 in Alpine White (only available for Germany this year)

A 1979 in Mars Red

? and lastly a Series 2 in Inari Silver

Friday evening saw me heading off to Allerspark where the Mk1 meet was to take place. Driving around Wolfsburg is an eye opener in itself ? get used to seeing WOB plated VWs as almost every car you see!! It still amazes me that there are hardly any Mk1s around though, but plenty of Mk2s which were a lot better rust proofed. Entry to the Mk1 meet was 15 Euro that includes camping, a free pass for the Museum and a special gift ? in this case a plastic bucket with the Club logo on! At first I thought it was the German sense of humour?

Toilet and refreshment facilities are on site and apparently showers are few minutes walk away at a local swimming pool but I admit I never got that far! It was good to meet up with a few familiar faces and make new friends over a beer on the Friday night before the main event on Saturday. I even sold my tartan seats that evening to the first person to stop by!

A lot more Mk1s turned up the next day and I spent most of the day having a gander at some fine examples as well as scouring for those special hard to find parts.

A few general pics?

You could buy anything from a grommet to a Swallowtail! The answer is no by the way?.

Nice ?77

Rare Rose Pearl Metallic GTi

3 Oak Green GTis, and I thought they were rare!  :lol:  Note Pirelli also available without colour coded bumpers and mirrors

Super Rabbit!

Oettinger engine?d (not a 16S though)

Mk1 Polo GT not available for UK

Concours Mk1 Passat

Lhasa Pirelli bought for 50 Marks, now restored

1978 GTi converted to a nice trailer complete with beer on tap

?Multi Millionaire? special edition in Riveria Blue for home market

Rare Diamond Platinum Metallic non colour coded Pirelli

Citi Golf caused a stir

?Tuscany? special edition cabrio not for UK

Some very nice carb?d cabrios were one of my highlights

Nice bronze Mk1 Scirocco sat in the car park

Proper factory air conditioned Mk1 Scirocco

Pretty ?82 GTi

Good chat with the owner of this ?77 GTi

Overall a good meet and well worth combining with a trip to the Fatherland. Could have been a few more Mk1s at the meet and our Gaydon 2005 event saw more cars but of course not the variation you can only get in Germany. I came home a happy man with yet more parts (well would be a crime to go home with an empty boot!).  :lol:

Banner

Back to the top
Great read mate.  Sounds like you had just as good a time visiting the museums as you did at the mk1 meet.

Tell us then, what 'rare' parts did you manage to find?!  :wink:

Back to the top
Great report, cheers Rajan! :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
looks amazing. Would have loved to have gone, was this event organised by wolfsburg or another german club?

Back to the top
Excellent photos dubboy :y: . The alternative cab designs are interesting, the early Karmann cab has no B post strengthening bar, must have been a bit floppy 8O . Is that a Jetta convertible in the background?

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top

marsredgti said

Tell us then, what 'rare' parts did you manage to find?!  :wink:

I picked up some suspensions struts complete with pre-'80 top mounts, trim for under Series 1 dash, non-GTi 5-speed gear knob for close ratio box, 4 Series 1 hatch trims and 3 genuine GTi arch extensions  :D

Mr_GTI said

Would have loved to have gone, was this event organised by wolfsburg or another german club?
The meet itself is organised by the German equivalent of our Club

markwon said

The alternative cab designs are interesting, the early Karmann cab has no B post strengthening bar, must have been a bit floppy. Is that a Jetta convertible in the background?

Yes no roll over hoop on the Golf but does feature on the later proto Jetta behind it. Also note the wider tailgate, chrome bumpers, full drop of rear windows and the Karmann badge located beneath the side wing crease rather than above.

Banner

Back to the top
Rajan - those are superb pics - looks like there were some really unusual Mk1's there.

Really like the Diamond Platinum (looks gold to me!) Pirelli special edition, and the rose and light green metallic ones too.

Cheers,

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
Rajan, great pics and good of you to be our ambassador for international shows! I'd love to do that same trip one year, maybe 2007, and I think I'd want to do it in a Mk1 too - I imagine the Germans would welcome a UK car at their show, and maybe one day reciprocate with a few dedicated Germans coming over for our Gaydon show?

That storage tower for cars, is completely barmy…

Back to the top
Great reports and pics - thanks a lot. I like the Oak Green Mk1s - don't think I've ever seen one of those.
I went to Wolfsburg in 1993 when my Campaign was 10 - went round the factory in a little train pulled by a Golf with its roof sawn off. All in German but you got the idea. Stayed in Hanover where the temp was -6 day and night.
I'm going to check out the VW museum as I missed it last time and Autostadt beause it didn't exist than.
Cheers

Back to the top
o man!! i was there too.just say now how was your car looking???i was there with my mk2 maybe you saw it…deep blue mk2 on ats cups inside meeting area.that`s bad we couldn`t meet and talk.

Remember, VW made the last car in 1992. After that they started making vehicles.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.