Skip navigation

Classic Car Show 2005 - WE'RE IN!!!!!!!! UPDATE

Back to the top

Classic Car Show 2005 - WE'RE IN!!!!!!!! UPDATE

OK chaps, I got us in! :y:

We've got an 11.5 x 8 metre stand space and we're on the same block as the Audi Owners Club and the Supercar Club.

The show runs from 4-6th November. There'll be exhibitor passes for people showing their cars on our stand and concessions for tickets purchased through the club.

I've plotted stand dimensions out roughly on CAD and reckon on getting 4 cars on total comfortably or 5 at a push. Therefore, my suggestion (and I'm open to them!) is to have the following on the stand.

1. Series 1 Golf Gti
2. Campaign model Gti
3. Non-Gti series 1 or 2
4. Convertable Golf
5. If space permits another non-gti tin-top

I've already had some offers of cars come through. Can I now make formal request. Please send to me on e-mail: events vwgolfmk1 .org.uk, pref. with a photo or two. Bear in mind that the car will have to be on the stand for not just the 4-6th november but I would guess also the 3rd for set-up so only put your car forward if you can manage this.

We can look at Gaydon towards finalising car choice as can see in the flesh but we've got enough time so if you want to put your car forward but can't make Gaydon, don't panic, just let me know your interest before hand.

Hope you can all help support what I think could be a cracking few days for the club.

Cheers
Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Classic car show

Hi Hairy
I'll have a ticket!!
TC

Back to the top

Re: Classic car show

TC said

Hi Hairy
I'll have a ticket!!
TC

Before you all start hassling me for tickets, I'm not 100% certain yet if we actually sell them or just give members a booking reference when buying through the normal channels in order to get the discount. Will keep you posted! :wink:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
*UPDATE*

I need to get a press release out to them as soon as so ideally I'm looking to finalise car selection for the show at or shortly after Gaydon.

I've had no fresh volunteers yet with cars so please put yourself forward if you're willing and able! :wink:

Also, the show is themed and this years theme is Film & TV. Any suggestions on anything we can do are appreciated (but don't think we got room for a Bullitt style car chase on our stand!)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Is there any way you can change the criteria for choice of cars, to include TKY454Y? Choosing a series 1 GTI and a Campaign, would seem to exclude all the other series 2s...

Back to the top
Just a thought, but what about trying to match up the cars on the stand with similar colour and spec ones from VW TV / press ads of the time?

Perhaps have a compilation of the relevent TV ads of the time running in the background? VW might be able to help out with footage, and its gotta be good publicity for them I would have thought.

Cheers,

Chris

ex '83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign owner and missing it already!

Back to the top
Some good ideas chaps!

Paul, ref the series 2 Gti's, certainly wont leave them out - at end of day the cars on the stand will have to be made available from the Thursday through to the Sunday so we may only be able to have what is available to us and be limited in choice?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
If you want a sheddy 1978 - that's actually MOT'd etc - then you can use our yellow/red & rust car, as seen briefly at Gaydon. Might be worth thinking about showing *all* facets of the club not just the beautiful ones…

From experience as editor of CLASSICS magazine, if you want to get pics of the stand into the car mags you need something that will make you stand out - a proper *original*  theme, or a stand-out car. Barn-find wrecks *ALWAYS* draw crowds - more than shiny cars, fact (basic psychology - loads of shiny cars and there's one that isn't therefore it stands out, therefore *must* be interesting, must have a look).  Try to avoid recreating films - its a bit hackney'd and you'll find plenty of big clubs doing it with *much* bigger budgets and so unless your're spending a fortune I'd avoid it.

If I can help in any way, let me know.
Cheers
Tim

NO Golfs at present!!!!:-(

Back to the top
Thx for info/tips Tim - I'm not too far from you, well work in Corby anyway.

I'm in same boat as you with a patchwork of mars red, black panel primer and mostly rust on my Campaign.

Perhaps not a bad idea on the showing a 'barn-find'

Anyone got a true 'barn-find' car to display?

…which does lead me on - Ideally looking for a non-Gti MK1 to display and as yet have had no other offers - perhaps Tim you can put a few cobwebs and bales of straw in yours??

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Bales of straw - cobwebs - no problem!! :D

It would be better to have a genuine 'barn find' one there but otherwise, if nothing else is forthcoming, we'll dress the yellow one up to suit!

NO Golfs at present!!!!:-(

Back to the top
good luck peeps ill pop over and say hello

Back to the top
I think a barn/hillbilly theme would look fantstic with hay scatered every where!
It's got to be done.

I saw soemthing similar at Tatton this year.

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.