Skip navigation

Topic #82711 (no title)

Back to the top

Strut brace

persoanly id go for upper and lower at the same time mate, then it holds all your suspension tight with nowhere for it to go :wink:  meaning less body roll when taking a corner fast (on a private road of course!)
its a metal brace that runs from one wishbone to the other wishbone if you have one it will stick out like a sore thumb.

simon

i always have the last laugh ;)

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

Back to the top
i have got a lower one and an upper one on my 81 cabbie and it made a hellova difference to the handling. as for gettin one, theres a bloke on ebay sellin OMP upper and lower ones, the lower one is bout 20 quid i think and the upper ones are about 35 the last time i looked.

jamie

Mk1 Jetta (Jessie) build thread here
 View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

T25 westfalia camper, 2.2 Subaru powered

vw touran   1.9 tdi remap, Bbs rep wheels , lowered, bla bla bla……… Wife's car
2013 Vw amarok 2.0bitdi, work truck…….  www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk  

Back to the top
They aren't a standard part, so you'll be unlikely to have one unless the previous owner had fitted it, in which case he'd probably have mentioned it…

But to be sure, if you look between the lower wishbones and can see a solid metal bar then you've got one… You can just make out mine in this pic: -

HTH

Rich

Back to the top
I thought some Cab's had the lower one standard. OMP actually sell two lower braces, but the guy on ebay only lists the cheaper one. The other is a copy of the VW part with the wings that go back to the chassis. If you can weld, they're easy to make.

Back to the top

Strut brace

I've been reading it's worth doing the lower strut brace….how can i tell if i've got 1….and if i do need 1 what and where is the best place to get them? Some1 mentioned adjustable….what's the advantage with regards to the handling of these?

I've got a '85 gti cab.

Thanks

Back to the top
I just picked up a Scirocco lower strut brace for my 1989 Cabriolet.   Fascinating piece of metal with the carefully shaped mounts and extremely light weight.

Required drilling two holes in the chassis under the steering rack for the rear mounts - and uses the existing bolts for the front control arm mounting points.

Back to the top
theres a brand new original strut brace on ebaty at the mo, one like the pic at the bottom of the page.

hth
simon

i always have the last laugh ;)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

Back to the top

strut brace

The vw lower front brace is a good mod, tightens up the front a lot, on my cabriolet I have Autotech hollow anti roll bars, these are fab, they get rid of a load of scuttle shake and make it handle, turn in, and everything, also do not affect the ride by making it harse,  they are brill.

check em on http://www.autotech.com/index.htm

Jase

Back to the top
jase90…..what exactly do you have….the lower strut brace and anti-roll bars? Doesn't the gti cab already have roll-bars?

Also where can you get theautotech stuff…it's in US dollars - do you need to import?

Thanks

Back to the top

bracers

I have a '93 sportline cabbie in red, with lower standard cabriolet brace as shown, with an autotech upper front brace, and a pair of hollow antiroll bars 28 & 25 mm,  with Eibach proline springs, on gas shocks, with poly bushes all round, it handles fab, for a cabbie.  also audi twinpot front calipers & 280mm discs, to help it stop.  I bought the bars in the states 'cos i used to live there, but they do import and there is a uk supplier ( not very good I'm lead to believe) but call em remeber the good exchange rate, but import duty ?37, and vat at 17.5% ( thanks government! lol. but still an ecxellent mod when fitted. they deal with the uk as they are a Quaiffe importer.

Jase :D

Back to the top

Re: bracers

jase90 said

I have a '93 sportline cabbie in red, with lower standard cabriolet brace as shown, with an autotech upper front brace, and a pair of hollow antiroll bars 28 & 25 mm,  with Eibach proline springs, on gas shocks, with poly bushes all round, it handles fab, for a cabbie.  also audi twinpot front calipers & 280mm discs, to help it stop.  I bought the bars in the states 'cos i used to live there, but they do import and there is a uk supplier ( not very good I'm lead to believe) but call em remeber the good exchange rate, but import duty ?37, and vat at 17.5% ( thanks government! lol. but still an ecxellent mod when fitted. they deal with the uk as they are a Quaiffe importer.

Jase :D

Any danger of a picture being posted of this little beastie?

Tian :lol:

Back to the top
will do when I get some day light..

Back to the top
In case anyone is intereted, Mickey Marrows is selling some Autocavan design lower strut braces through the Ed38 website (http://www.edition38.c…index.php?showtopic=65363).

I've had a couple from him and they're good quality and adjustable.

Mat

Back to the top
Did you notice a big difference with one on?

Back to the top
The link doesn't work???

Back to the top
Haven't actually put them on yet, as it has taken a little while for Mickey to source the bolts.  But should get it fitted in time for the track day at Snetterton this weekend.  Will let you know what difference it makes, but people say it's a huge improvement.

Mat

Back to the top
Link works for me.  Maybe you have to be a member of their board? :dontknow:

Back to the top
Just registered….still doesn't work. What's the title and i'll search for it…tried autocavan and nothing came up.

Thanks

Back to the top
Weird!  Its in the 'Brakes and Suspension' section of the classifieds under 'NOS Autocavan lower front strut braces…'.

Back to the top
I bought one of these off Micky Marrows too, looks like a real good job.

Correct sized longer bolts should hopefully be with me today
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.