Skip navigation

1800cc to 2000cc 1991 Golf Clipper/Cabriolet Carb Version

Back to the top

1800cc to 2000cc 1991 Golf Clipper/Cabriolet Carb Version

Ok.
Here's the BIG question:
HAS ANYONE OUT THERE IN VW LAND DONE A 2.0E 3A BOTTOM END SWAP ON A 1800cc CLIPPER BEFORE?
My car is a 1991 1800cc Weber carb'd Mk1 Golf Clipper.

My engineers brain says it cant be any different to doing same swap to an injected engine - SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME IF IM RIGHT OR WRONG.

As far as I can see, its these parts off my 1800cc
Sump
Head / Weber Carb (re jet to 2.0)
Exhaust Manifold
1800cc distributor with 2.0 gear from 2.0 dizzy and TSR adaptor ring.
TSR Breather blanking plate.

All the above mated to my new shiny 2.0e 3a block/bottom end.

Is it that  simple or am I missing something ?

Any help GREATLY appreciated.
Better still, if ANYONE wants to come to Peterborough and assist or fit this themselves in my workshop, I will pay you for your time and travel.
Would rather do myself, but if not, will learn from watching someone who knows what they are doing.

Someone MUST have done this conversion before….

Thanks Guys

Back to the top
I've done the conversion on a GTI and used the block from a Passat, that's the 2E, I didn't change the sump. The block is higher and I made a spacer for the exhaust, although some say it is not necessary the conversion will obviously raise the front of the exhaust by about 5/8" so it will not be supported by the mounts as it was designed to. If there is anything on your engine or carb close to the bodywork you may have problems with the extra height but otherwise I cannot see it being any different to a GTI. If the block is a 3A you will not have the height problem but I think you do have to change the sump with this one. Swopping the drive pinion from the original distributoir is easier said than done, the pin is VERY tight. Performance wise I don't think there was a great difference, if your car is running well with no problems I would leave it as it is and keep the 2L as a spare.
Good luck.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.