Skip navigation

16v engine, Mk1 1800 box... clutch probs

Back to the top

16v engine, Mk1 1800 box... clutch probs

Hiya folks,

I know this is an old chestnut, but i can't find a solution from previous posts.  

Now in the road with a Mk2 16v and a Mk1 gearbox, i'm having big problems. The car was fine driving for 3 weeks, then i found when stationary, it was very difficult to get into gears, and got worse so i couldn't change when moving. ( could do a normal 'clutch;ess' change ok tho, so bx is fine)

I have check the obvious, linkage, clutch cable etc…

I have worked out that simply, the pushrod appears not to be pushing the cluth plate far enough to fully disengage the box from the engine. I took the box off, nothing was amiss, clutch is new, plate is fine, no warping or anything. put it back together, was all fine.

…for 5 days, then the same again!!!

It seems that the pushrod is not long enough, but why did it work fine for 3 days, then start going, then 5 days…????

Anyone any idea?>

The clutch cable was as tight as it could be., and was definetely lifting the arm the full way up. The cluth is aligned properly.

Is the fact its a Mk1 box and 16v matter? If it did, why has the car been fine?

Any ideas would be most gratefully recieved!

Back to the top
i'm running the same, valver engine and mk1 box. and i've got no problems.

I won't pretend to know what your problem is but anyway…

Did you check the condition of the Push Rod?  mine was worn flat on one end, it should be hemispherical on both ends.  I think the finger can wear down as well…

Worth changing all the bushes anyway if it hasn't been done recently, cheap enough, worth having a gander through this, not ness for his products but good info ont eh gearchange mech: http://www.4crawler.co…orSale/ShiftLinkage.shtml

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
Hiya mate,

i have checked the pushrod, one end is definetely worn slightly. It is hemispherical, but flat right at the tip, prob only takes 1mm max off it, will that be enough to cause the problems do you think?

If so, does anyone have a spare pushrod???!!! As a matter of urgency! I have just sold my Land Rover, she goes on Monday, so i'll be kinda stuck for the commute to work!! eeek…

If anyone can help i'd appreciate it a lot, i'm on paypal.

Any other thought, just in case this is not it?

Email addy is jamieblack@totalise.co.uk

Thanks in advance, Jamie

Back to the top
GS&F do them  8)

but they close at 14:00….bugger, too late.

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
right check the finger…

this is what happened to mine on my mk3 golf

it could have happened to yours and itmay be gripping of some occasions and then simply turning on the shaft on other times.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.