Skip navigation

1600 GTi Engine Mods

Back to the top

1600 GTi Engine Mods

I've been toying with a few ideas for my Mk1…  8)

Does anyone know whether the 16v head from a Mk4 golf 1.6 will fit the block from a Mk1 1.6GTi?

Or failing that, whether the whole Mk4 engine will drop in to the Mk1 bay without any modifications?

Or failing that as well, how much work fitting the whole Mk4 engine would be (excluding the inevitable ECU / loom type problems)?

Cheers

Rich

Back to the top
Rich, that MK4 Golf 1.6 16v engine is crap :wink: ! It couldn't pull the skin off a custard! I'd do some thing A LOT easier and fit a 2.0 block off a MK3 Golf onto what you've got :) . A lot more umpff for alot less money/time/aggro! :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Oh! Pants…

I'd read somewhere that the 1.6 had something like 105bhp? Wheras the 2.0 Mk4 engine only has 110?

Probably wrong, knowing me :)

Anyways, thanks for your advice Mr V…

I don't suppose anyone knows about the head though? That's my preferred option, as I'd like to keep my golf as stock as possible.

Any more advice / opinions would be very welcome!

Cheers

Rich

Back to the top
all depends how much power increase your after really.. if your only after that little extra edge in performance I'd go for

Ported and polished Head (maybe TSR performance head) with same done it inlet manifold mated to a bigger throttle body (if you keep the injection)

performance cam (not sure which suits the Mk1 best though)

cheap and easy drilled air box

performance Exhaust.. which ever takes your fancy really

anyway there's a few suggestions..

If your after more power from a 'standard' block.. G60 is my favorite as it's basically a 1.8 8v with higher compression and a little beasty bolted to the front  :D

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top

PhillTMK1GTI said

all depends how much power increase your after really.. if your only after that little extra edge in performance I'd go for

Ported and polished Head (maybe TSR performance head) with same done it inlet manifold mated to a bigger throttle body (if you keep the injection)

performance cam (not sure which suits the Mk1 best though)

cheap and easy drilled air box

performance Exhaust.. which ever takes your fancy really

anyway there's a few suggestions..

If your after more power from a 'standard' block.. G60 is my favorite as it's basically a 1.8 8v with higher compression and a little beasty bolted to the front  :D
Isnt the g60 a lower compression block?

Back to the top
:oops: I knew it was one or t'other and I blame lack of sleep.. that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it   :wink:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
what engine's in the 1.4 16v polo would the head of one of those fit ??

Stu

www.msportcam.co.uk

Back to the top
I had a flash of genius yesterday, when I realised the 1.8 16v head from the Mk2 GTi should fit.  8)

Could anyone confirm this?

Back to the top
It would, but your GTI block doesn't have the under piston oil squirters needed to keep the pistons cool at high revs.

You're better of buying a complete 1.8/2.0 16v.

Back to the top
Cheers for your advice once again Mr V

I'm off to stroke my chin and ponder my options  :)

Back to the top
You get a Turbo Technics kit(try and find one :banghead: ), 2.0 8v, 1.8 16v, 2.0 16v, 16vt, 20vt, VR6(if you like to land yourself in a pile of hot poo), G40, G60 and engines from other makes that i'm not too sure about.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.