Skip navigation

?500 to spend on tuning 1.8 GTi

Back to the top

?500 to spend on tuning 1.8 GTi

Hey,

I've done a search on the forum but not come up with much so I was wondering…

If you had ?500 to spend on your GTi to make it go faster (not including making it stop or handling, this is purely engine related) what would you buy and what BHP gain would you expect?

Out of interest, if you had ?1000 to spend, what would you do and BHP?

I don't really want to do an engine swap as I want to keep the car looking stock :)

Thanks

Adrian

Back to the top

hmm

for ?500 id fit a 16v lump just so happens i have one in a cab running just needs a good car to go in now any takers :lol:

Back to the top
Hehe, So what sort of BHP is that and is it an easy swap? :)

Back to the top

hm

its 1.8 gti 16valve lump not sure of bhp 130 bhp ish

not a bad swap probaly one of the easier ones to do

if you have all the bits we have this old 16v cab that was converted ages ago but never realy put on the road cos the guy that owned it painted the car and screwed it up big style the car runs but i think it has a lazy starter cos you have to tow it to start it apart from that it drives and runs ok

Back to the top
id get the head work done.
inrease airflow and exhaust flow.
a good head should give you more than a standard 16v imho and still keep that 8v low down torque.
yuo should be able to do that for the 500.

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
agreed. a decent head job and matched cam will be quicker, easier and more reliable than a valver transplant. improvement on original, rather than changing from original.

Back to the top
I was thinking of going down this route, rather than stickin in a new engine (had toyed with putting in a G60). Anyone know of a purveyor of quality modded heads & cams?

Back to the top
cams are something you need to research. try not to emphasise on max bhp figures. race power motorsport are good for heads. saw one of thiers last month, before it was fitted. very good job.

Back to the top
Hey,

What exhaust would you recomend? i don't want it to be noisey so I was thinking of getting a decent performance manifold and middle section with a custom quiet powerflow rear box?

I quite like the Piper cam kit's and they seem ok on price would go for the fast road not the road/rally though

Back to the top
Cheers Wooders!

Where are Power Race? Tried searchin for a website but there doesnt seem to be one.

Back to the top
RPM are in Kent - 01732 886622.  My experiences of them haven't been that positive though.

Or visit the club gti web-site and they are doing a 'group buy' on head work from the 'man in the shed'.

Mat