Skip navigation

US bumpers on 1978 GTI

Back to the top

US bumpers on 1978 GTI

Ciao a tutti, recently I bought this GTI. It was produced in April 1978, same month the US model Rabbit manufacturing was transfered from Germany to North America.
Anyone knows more about euro Golfs equipped with US bumpers?

PS: I installed sidemarkers and Rabbit emblems

Back to the top
The US didn't get the GTi until the Westmoreland Rabbit GTi in 83/84. Even then it was a de-tuned version with EGR and cat for emissions.

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

The US didn't get the GTi until the Westmoreland Rabbit GTi in 83/84. Even then it was a de-tuned version with EGR and cat for emissions.
Yes, no doubt.  
This is a genuine 110 HP, 4 speed, GTI, the only difference from other 1978 M.Y. GTi are the US bumpers.
My car was manufactured in April 1978; in the same month the Rabbit production was transfered to North America. Is it possible that some US spares (bumpers) were used for a limited european edition?
The only other euro GTI with US bumpers in my knowledge is the one in the Italdesign/Giugiaro museum, do You know more?

Back to the top

GTI1978 said

dubboy said

Yes, no doubt.  
This is a genuine 110 HP, 4 speed, GTI, the only difference from other 1978 M.Y. GTi are the US bumpers.
My car was manufactured in April 1978; in the same month the Rabbit production was transfered to North America. Is it possible that some US spares (bumpers) were used for a limited european edition?
The only other euro GTI with US bumpers in my knowledge is the one in the Italdesign/Giugiaro museum, do You know more?

To my knowledge US bumpers were never fitted to European models. It would have required another homologation due to the increased length.

Banner

Back to the top
The GTI didn't come to the U.S. Until 1983 and it had the westmoreland package.  The early rabbits did have that bumper.  Most people now push the bumpers in for a better look.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.