Skip navigation

HAYNES MANUAL 726

Back to the top

HAYNES MANUAL 726

I have just bought a haynes manual 726 that covers up to the 1600cc engine.  Its the brown cover one and I found out about it on this forum.  I had saw one on e bay the other day but never won it and it said it covered the 1974-1984 vw golf and cabriolet from 80-85 upto 1800cc.  I just assumed that this other one was the same and covered all these as it was also the 726 manual.  I have since noticed that it only goes up to the 1600 engine.  Anyway my question is will this manual upto the 1600cc engine do for a hardtop gti and a cabriolet as I am not sure which I am going to buy in the near future, although it will hopefully be the earlier 1600cc engine series one that I would be after anyway. Apparently this manual is very comprehensive.  Will it do for an early hardtop gti and cab?  Does anybody know more please?

Back to the top
I can't really help you out too clearly put in my assumption.
Ebay one was prob telling porkies.
Golfs are usually split small block (1-1.6) and big block (1.6-1.8) and i would imagine the brown haynes covers small block and the blue haynes will cover big block.? I think there is another manual that covers carbrio 1984-1990.??

Hope this helps

Back to the top
Haha.. that smile face with glasses is ment to an 8 lol

Back to the top
Hi - is there another haynes manual for cabrios? Anyone of them cover 1.8 clipper cabrio '92?

1992 1.8 Golf Cabrio

Back to the top
You may have an early version of the haynes book printed before it was revised to cover the 1.8 GTI engine fitted after 1982?

I think you need to Golf MK2 book for info about the 1.8 carb engine.

There is no specific Cabrio manual but the 'brown' book should cover most of the mechanical and electrical systems. Note that from the mid 80s the cabrio slowly drifted futher away from the early 80s spec as covered by the Haynes manual.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
the one I have there is a supplement for engines 1780cc and it states if something is not mentioned in the supplement its the same as the 1590cc in the other chapters - if I am going to do some work on the clipper  would the torque wrench settings still be the same as for 1590cc?

1992 1.8 Golf Cabrio

Back to the top

These seem to be the Torque wrench settings for both big and small block engine in the blue book.

If there the same as what you have in the brown book assume the rest to be the same.?

Back to the top
brown haynes manual does cover the cabrio and scirocco as well, lots of info on cabrio hood etc. mechanically its all mk1 tintop anyway so thats covered pretty much whatever you get

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.