Skip navigation

bbs rm 012 tyre sizes

Back to the top
Hi, i have some bbs rm 012 on my golf at the mo and they rub front and back there normal 6.5 j et33 with 195/50/15 tyres  i can sort out the back as they have 25mm spacers on, going to go down to 15-20mm but the fronts i dont know what to do, i want to lower the car more, so what tyre sizes do you think would be good i want a slight stretch but not too much, i was thinking maybe camber adjustable top mounts but not sure if that would give me the clearence i need, going to try to roll the arches tommorrow but dont think that will be enough, any way need your opinons on how to get them to fit and lower the car more with out it taking chunks out my tyre when i hit bumps haha, if i got a lower profile tyre say 175,50,15 would the stretch give it lower profile ? heres a pic anyways.

ThaNks

83' Driver

Back to the top
Nice looking mk1, i'm trying to work out what tyres to go for on 15x7 et33 at the mo, was looking at 175/55 to keep the rolling radius near enough the same and are slightly less stretched look to 175/50, 185/45 and 195/45 are also common options but will throw the speedo off slightly though. On a 6.5 I'd probably look at 175/50, 175/55 or 185/45 

Alloy Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

'83 formel e

Back to the top
i used to have 185/55/15 on mine but also wanted to go lower so i now have 185/45/15… pic below with new tyres on so you can see

Back to the top

oldskool_89 said

i used to have 185/55/15 on mine but also wanted to go lower so i now have 185/45/15… pic below with new tyres on so you can see

where/what brand did you get 185/45/15 from???

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti
1994 golf vr6 - gone but not forgotten
2005 mk5 gti family wagen

Back to the top
nankangs mate. look on ebay!! very reasonably priced and decent quality.

Back to the top
Thanks for the reply matey, but nankangs.. no thanks..
best keep searching…  :(

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

Back to the top
@ abbouncer..

i wouldn't go with cambered in top mounts, they will make the car horrible to drive and kill the tyres.
175/50/15 are available in hankook or kumho, both of which are ok… you can get 165/50/15 in bridgestone, good tyres, but possibly a little skinny….. ( i have these and will be replacing because they look a little too narrow for the car!!)
loads of clearance though and no rubbing at all…  :)

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

Back to the top
couple pics for ya, 165/50/15 on 6.5 wide RM'S …

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

Back to the top
I would go for 165/50 if you want a little stretch. The bridgestones versions are really good tyres, ran loads of them. Also ran the nankang versions, which some people dont like, but I think they are decent tyres for the money.

People slate them because of their not so well known name, but I've driven hard on Nankangs and they are decent tyres. I've had both the 185/45's and the 165/50's and would buy again.

Back to the top
I've also had the 175/50's and they look cr*p, I wouldnt buy them, they dont have the kurb protection sidewall so they dont look good at all, and wont look stretched due to this. They sort of look Bubble shaped. Interestingly the 185/45 looks more stretched on a 8" wheel than the 175/50 does even though its narrower and thats due to the lack of kurb protection sidewall

If it were me I'd stick 165/50 bridgestones on and leave the spacers on, If I was on a budget I would get the Nankangs in the same size. If thats too narrow for your taste, I would get the Nankang 185/45's.

You can get all from mytyres.co.uk - best website for great tyre prices!

Last edit: by Ronnie85

Back to the top
Hi guys only just seen you replys, rich how does that handle with that stretch ? i think i will go 175/50/15 do you still think they will clear the front arches ? does yours rub at all , mine rub going hard in to a corner with 195/50/15 now as a result i have chunks missing in the front drivers side tyre thats the only one that really rubs bad, any stretch on the back will get rid of any rubbing so not worried about that, what brand of 175 do you think will be better for the stretch ? not bothering with the camber mounts as i dident know about that handling.

83' Driver

Back to the top
I run 195/45s toyos on mine as i didn't want stretch and didn't want to use nankangs.

Back to the top

abbouncer said

Hi guys only just seen you replys, rich how does that handle with that stretch ? i think i will go 175/50/15 do you still think they will clear the front arches ? does yours rub at all , mine rub going hard in to a corner with 195/50/15 now as a result i have chunks missing in the front drivers side tyre thats the only one that really rubs bad, any stretch on the back will get rid of any rubbing so not worried about that, what brand of 175 do you think will be better for the stretch ? not bothering with the camber mounts as i dident know about that handling.

You wont get stretch with a 175/50, it will look like this.

http://tyrestretch.com/wp-content/gallery/archive/6.5_175_50_R15_2.jpg

If you want stretch on your wheels your only real options are 165/50/15 or 165/45/15.

Back to the top
I've got the same problem with mine I'm on 195x50x15 the front end of the car has been lifted so it doesn't rub but the back end is low so it rubs like crazy I was lookin at puttin adjustable shocks on so I could move it accordingly but I think I'll Change the tyres first

Back to the top

abbouncer said

rich how does that handle with that stretch ? i think i will go 175/50/15 do you still think they will clear the front arches ? does yours rub at all , mine rub going hard in to a corner with 195/50/15 now

Hey matey, i have zero rubbing at all.
it handles better than on std tyres and 13's, but then i don't push it hardly at all. i would go for 175/50/15 out of choice, as i think the 165's are a little too narrow for it really, especially as they left the factory on 175…. But these were in stock when i needed tham and i got a cheap deal….

will be going 175's though for sure sooooon..

1983 mars red gti
1984 mars red gti

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.