Skip navigation

500 mile round trip, total waste of time !

Back to the top

500 mile round trip, total waste of time !

Right been looking for a tin top for a bit now, and also missed out on a few as other people closer to them, so they buy em 1st.
So with that in mind i see this one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230178119958&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:VRI

( and now looks to have been sold ), anyways, rang the seller and spoke to him regarding car, asked him all the questions what i wanted to no about it, rust, rot, WELDING etc etc. He replied with all the right answers , had little welding hardly any rust, very clean nice example. I explaned to him i would be travelling over 260 miles one way to come see this car he was fine about it.

Anyway got there to look at car, and all i can say is PICTURES TELL BIG LIES. On the pics it looks spot on and really tidy, but seeing it it is just totally different,

Inner wings and chassis legs been welded and repaired ( seller said these were sweet )
inner rear arches rusting threw, after being repaired before already,
roof full of filler,
seller said it looked like it had been resprayed before thats why it was shiny, (resprayed my a**e more like the litre of polish on it before pictures taken.
Seller on phone told me he had, had it for about 2 months , took it in part ex against a camper he had, when got down there asked his partner how long they had had it, SHE SAID 2 WEEKS.

I mean i personally can not understand why people just waste other peoples time and money. I mean did he not think i was going to pick up on all these things. i think he thought i was going to look round this car with my eyes closed or something.

I guess though you could say you get what you pay for, it was cheap, and was cheap for a reason. I mean it was a  mark 1 with 12 months mot and 6 months tax, but in my eyes you would be paying the price just for the mot, which was just not what i was looking for.

Hope someone on here aint bought it, and now its there pride and joy  :roll:

The search continues

He did have a series one for sale though, which he reckoned was a barn find, which he had sprayed and fitted a 1800 carb engine. Was nice to look at but had had its fair share on welding, and reprayed only 1 year ago according to seller , yet the inner wings had holes in the where it joined the front panel, which is a bit daft if its only just been sprayed, also where the engine mounts had been moved and welded, they were just left bare metal and going rusty.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230170339812#description

But with a bit of work could make a nice car,

RANT OVER!!

Back to the top
similar thing has happened to me kenno, really annoying isn't it
don't know if you remember a user by the name of tupacmakavelli or similar?
went to london to look at his car and, although not as bad as the one you described, it was a real let down when you travel hundreds of miles and realise you have wasted your time and been lied to.

i hope you get sorted soon mate

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
thats the thing with ebay..people try there luck, the will push it as much as they can.................hope you hit the twat when you had seen it, he was hoping that adding it was a legal agreement by bidding crap so that whoever won wouldnt have a leg to stand on

Back to the top
also kenno, the S1, would you have paid the 1500 it has sold for?

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top

mk1john said

also kenno, the S1, would you have paid the 1500 it has sold for?

well i went down on monday this week, and it was still for sale then, the sale fell threw on ebay and he aint put it back on.

He told me he would take ?1200 for it, To be honest mate it was definatly the tidyist one out the 2, the respray from what i had seen looked to be ok aswell., it had welding done on the rear suspension top mounts and a bit on the bootfloor i think,. It had no roof lining and mis-matched interior.
But had alot of the inner sill / floor welded both sides ( but looked to be of good standard )

But like i said before front inner wings holed, and after being told all the crap about the other one, i had lost interest. If i was after a S1 none GTI, then yes i would say it would be worth ?1200. go look for your sen though as you would have to make your own judgement.

would make a nice car with the effort

Back to the top
Just my opinion but I wouldnt have even gone to look at the one on ebay bcs someone has taken a tin opener to the roof and put a dirty glass thing in there

Back to the top
You will be better off trying to find an "original" car thats someones had a while in a family, or saving a few more quid and buy one thats a "known" car either in this club or on another vw forum.
Trouble is As soon as some people see the prices of older cars going up, particulaly the mk1 golf it would seem!! they all become "experts" and start toshing up average/rotten cars to try and make a fast buck, if you buy a wrongun you will end up shelling out enough money that you could have just bought a near minter in the first place by the end of it!!!

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
I think if most of us added up the money spent on our mk1's since buying them, we all could have got minters cheaper  :banghead: , but there's something about the enjoyment and despair of getting a mk1 back on the rails that gives more satisfaction  :mrgreen: .

Back to the top
That was just down the road from me went to see it came back thinking wow he managed to poolish a turd! to be fair like you said it is a cheap mk1 with 12 moth ticket, think it was bought locally..

Back to the top
It wasn't a total waste of time - you've avoided buying a car unseen, which you didn't like/want. But I do sympathise, there do seem to be a lot of scammers out there.

Back to the top

paul_c said

It wasn't a total waste of time - you've avoided buying a car unseen, which you didn't like/want. But I do sympathise, there do seem to be a lot of scammers out there.

Yes i guess it was not a TOTAL waste of time, least i did not buy it.
Never mind onwards and upwards, will keep looking and find one.  :lol:

Back to the top

Kenno said

paul_c said

Yes i guess it was not a TOTAL waste of time, least i did not buy it.
Never mind onwards and upwards, will keep looking and find one.  :lol:

wat sort ov condition are you looking for mate? i have 1 for sale but it needs some TLC, JUST FITTED NEW CLUTCH AND BRAKE SERVO

Back to the top
email us some more details and some pics if you like

mark1kenno@aol.com
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.