Skip navigation

1975 swallowtail 100,000 miles whats it worth?

Back to the top
Hi

Im considering driving a golf to the uk to visit my family.
Its a 1975 1.1 100k miles, very clean interior, original paint, untouched condition, small hole on one sill near rear wheel arch, small amount rust windscreen bottom corner but looks like not a hole, drum brakes all round.
I hope to pay just over 1000 and i guess after i would change the cam belt,oil and get mot´d before the drive. that inc drive over about 1500 ish.
Would i be able to get 2000 to make it worth my while?

Back to the top
i forgot to mention its a 2 door L model in what looks like mars red.

Back to the top
I'd like to say you'd get 2k for it…

Back to the top
even though its LHD?

Back to the top
Let's see some pics dude.

Back to the top
Not many '75s around, so quite rare. Depends so much on condition. Get some pics up, interested to see what its like. Also what Country are you coming from ?

Back to the top
I will have it. Simon on 07940 722558

Back to the top
I too would buy it  :)

Back to the top
Top cars fetch around 6k so worth considering.

Banner

Back to the top
Looks like I can't get it as cheap as I hoped, gonna be 1600 then with the mot equivalent ( just small fixes I hope) and the trip to the uk, I would want 2500.
Will it be a gamble to get that back? 
I will put pics out if I buy it. It's two hours from where where I live. 
Thanks for the feedback
Sam

Back to the top
Sent you a private message Sam 

Back to the top
sell theit all day long 

Back to the top
Here is pics to the golf 
Photo Storage

The car from what I can find has some rust on the left side- windscreen corner, rear wheel arch, rear bottom of the sill, inner top of front wing.

Everything else is super solid and not soft around the rust areas. 

Tell me what you think.

Sam

Back to the top
Looks original mate from the pics. You gonna buy it?

Back to the top
Yes I have already bought it and planning on driving it to the uk to sell in December. 

Back to the top
Here's my advice for what it's worth.

Some people here have given you ball park figures as to what it might be worth but before seeing it.  O_o
It certainly has some big plus points, the year, the interior etc… but it looks like it needs pretty much a full body job.

Your best bet is to stick a number on it and advertise, see who bits.  :)
If you to high, you'll now and of course if your to low, then your phone will melt in your hands!  :thumbs:

Not sure anyone wants to put an exact Pounds, Shilling and Pence price on it (nor should there).

If your not going to do it yourself just jump in, take the plunge and see how warm the water is my friend!  :thumbs:
DON'T forget it is a lefty which does effect the price in the UK but not where I live.  :lol:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
From a restoration point of view it's in good condition compared to the one I'm restoring at the minute, probably a bit more desirable than mine too. Yeah, there's a couple of rusty holes to sort out and probably a few more hidden away as well but most of it is good, I like it and I'm sure others will too.

I think, when you get to the UK, get the paperwork sorted first, then stick it up for sale for your asking price. It's always the paperwork that puts me off a lefty.

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

From a restoration point of view it's in good condition compared to the one I'm restoring at the minute, probably a bit more desirable than mine too. Yeah, there's a couple of rusty holes to sort out and probably a few more hidden away as well but most of it is good, I like it and I'm sure others will too.

I think, when you get to the UK, get the paperwork sorted first, then stick it up for sale for your asking price. It's always the paperwork that puts me off a lefty.

" It's always the paperwork that puts me off a lefty."

It's the other way round for me, take it from someone who's lived here nearly 20 years.
Austria is a 'Paper State'!
I've never come across another place like it for wanting papers filled out.
I got Married last year down in Winchester to an Austrian as it was far easier to do it and to organise there, then to get Married here and I live next door to the Church (5m) from it!  :P

I'd like (if I had the spare cash) to get a GTI tin top from the UK as MK1's generally are 50% less in the UK then they are here but the paperwork.  :(
There's currently less than 20 MK1's for sale in Austria (advertised on the Internet). Stupid prices and most of them are trash!

Don't even start me on Insurance.  :shutup:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Thanks for the replies and interest shown.
Im hoping it would be a fairly straight forward to import as it will have a mot equivalent and will be registered to me not some previous owner.
I did some cleanup on the car today but dont know how to put pics straight on the forum so here is a new link-

Photo Storage

It came up real nice with good soapy scrub.
80 deg pressure wash for the engine bay and the wheel arches, thought the wheels where on at the time so havent pressure washed the arches that great but you get the idea.
looks very nice indeed in the arches, no rust that i can find even none on the filler neck or around it.
gonna buy a new battery tomorrow hopefully.
Things to do from what i can see so far for the EU test is- steering boot, wheel cylinders (hoping i can rebuild the existing ones as they seem as rare as hens ding dangs), battery, one flexi hose has a nic in it and one short brake line has a kink in it some how.
Will also have a go at straightening the bumpers which i think will go well. soon see

Back to the top
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.