Skip navigation

1975 Mk1 Golf L

Back to the top

1975 Mk1 Golf L

Hi all,
First post here from a newbie… I'm thinking of getting a Mk1 Golf that has been in storage for 10 years… from the owner it tells me it starts and drives so just need a normal service… teh car looks pretty prestine since garaged all its life a few dings but pain is original etc…. my question is the car doesnt seem to have the usual Mk1 external trims that i have seen, like chrome side stripe, chrome detail grill and chrome boot lid bottom… can someone tell me if these bling bits were optional? What abou the window surrounds, its black no chrime stripe either… so im a bit confused…
Finally do i need to carry a fire extingusher just incase? :
Any other bits i should look out for when ispeting the car?
cheers everyone!
Reemus

Back to the top
Yeah lower models didn't get chrome trim. Not sure about 1975 but for later cars, it was CL and GL which got the chome window, grille and side trim. C got plain black trim, GTI did too except it also had a red grille trim.

Back to the top
Damn cos i really like the chrome blingy bits…. what to do what to do if i get it lol… I think its a C or L model, im promised more info…. its a 1.1L so I guess that is the bottom model? I supposed being a unmolested 1975 it is still desirable :) Oh also I think this one hasnt got any reverse lights… just Red and Orange… must be the bottom of the bottom models? :mrgreen:
Thanks for the info so far… :)

Back to the top
Hmmm sounds like something i wouldn't mind myself. If you don't have it then i may well be interested in this.

If you don't mind me asking how much is being asked for this particular car.

\'83 Lhasa Green GX 1457cc

\'53 Mk4 Golf R32, Deep Pearl Blue

\'00 Kawasaki Ninja J1 ZX6R

\'92 B3 Passat Estate 1.6td (Now breaking) 😭

Back to the top
Hi didnt mean to get that impression but I have been chasing this car for over a month and a half… and Im still working on the price at the moment twisting the guys arms lol… its hard to know what they are worth tbh, seen immculate modded ones for 4.5k and unmolested solid but completely covered in surface rust for 2k on fleabay…. this one is timewarped and one owner… good condition a couple of dings and no mod at all im told…. hopefully be seeing it next weekend as the owner not available this weekend… :)
back to arm twisting lol…

Back to the top
Its difficult to put a value on it because there's only a limited market for low spec, older, original Mk1s. Yes, there's lots of people who will say they want one! But when it comes to actually doing a transaction and purchasing a vehicle, they might not have the cash in hand, so their estimation of its value is not objective.

No doubt there will be an amount of renovation required if its been sat for 10 years, but without further info its tricky to say. I guess, vaguely, just beware some of the trim would be difficult/impossible to source. Other mechanical parts should be easier.

Probably worth having a good look at www.swallowtail.info too.

Back to the top
Thanks Paul, i did spend most of the night looking at that site… and spoke to the owner today and the info i got is when he got the car it had sat for 10 years. He has since had the the car for 2 years and in that time he had it running although not much use so selling again. He told me we can take it for a test drive and would drive it to my bro's place (free storage) which is 40 miles from his place… so dont sound too bad lol… apparently the car has done 76k he's the second owner for the last couple of years.

Personally I just like the way the Mk1 looks and i want small tail lights, swallow tail or not… if i end up with this one i'd prolly keep it pretty much the same except a set of supaites and drop it a bit so it looks right….i.e. everything can be undone if needed…. maybe better brakes since it is a 1975 car… not sure about dropping another lump in but there are so many talented folks in here that makes it far less of a challenge… glad to have found this site really  :D

There are far too few Mk1's on the road imho  :cry: …. this year i saw a matt black one in Chicheser and thats about it… there seem to be more u north by the looks of thigns…

Many moons ago I had a V reg GTI, it was a minging with 153k, had 2 smashed quarter glass…needed welding up under the front screens and sills, wings were rotten so I gave it 2 wings and a tail gate, it had a Kemei spoilers… it drove lovely but neeeded too much money to be perfect so as a student i had to sell it cos lack of funds… lol i bought it for 100 quid and sold it for 450 lol so wish i kept it now it had immaculate old intrior…

See if I can get a pic or two later….

Cheers all

Back to the top
i wud buy it but saying it needs a service is a bit of a white lie, as after 10 years, u guna need at a minimum…

-new tyres
-petrol goes stale after a bit so starting it has probly got all the kak petrol thru
-brakes will need a good looking over
- fuel lines/filters maybe looking at
- plugs and oil need changing

but all said, sounds like a beauty, my opinion is, if its original, keep it that way. you will get more attention and future value. than modding it.

good luck with it. i got my first mk1 2 mths ago and never looked back.  

lets have some pics!

Back to the top

some pics...

:mrgreen:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.