Skip navigation

£1000 on what ?

Back to the top

£1000 on what ?

Im now saving the mortal pennys for an engine conversion, would love some ideas pros/cons on dif engines conversions im thinking of the 20vt but i dont mind a non turbo engine either i want to hit around 150 to 175 bhp, the 1k dont inc brakes etc this is purly on a engine, my dream would be a vr6 turbo but its way too much work and will cost way over 1k to be done :( would love to hear some opinons on whats avail for 1k.

Cheers

Stib

MK1 Golf 4x4 Build
MK1 Golf 4X4 | Facebook

Back to the top
i know of a vr6 non turbo… i just got the interior from it :P i was gonna take the engine but i cant be bothered :P im gonna stick to something slightly smaller.

im thinking its got 140k on it an its a good runner.

ill have a chat with the bloke later if ur intrested, im sure it will come with what you need as hes breaking the car and he would love to see it in a mk1. :)

probs is… im in bristol so an 8 hour round trip will be a bit long :P

cheeers

booze and boredom, the greatest mix :)

Back to the top
16v 2ltr is the one  :posh:

Back to the top
Realistically, VR6 conversion is well out of your price range. I doubt you could do 2.0 16V justice with £1000 either, TBH. Its all the little things which add up.

Back to the top

Back to the top
is this to get some one else to do it or a diy conversion? £1k should do 2.0 15v if you're going to do it yourself.

Back to the top
im doing a 2.0 6a 16v on mine atm and the engines been proven at 170bhp ive spent about 1k on mine n its just about done now. so you would be able to do it on your budget

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=73039&highlight=

Back to the top
Lots well most are saying the 2.0l 16v conversion, nobody rate the 20v turbo?

Mixerman i have a vr6 which i could easly use as a donor but i dont have the heart to break her down shes only covered 78k :) so the vr6 conversion is very realistic if i did use her but to me its just seems soo much work just to get the engine to sit in the bay where other conversions seems alot simpler

This will be a diy job should get some help of some peeps if i begged hard enough lol

Stib

MK1 Golf 4x4 Build
MK1 Golf 4X4 | Facebook

Back to the top
You can easily do a 2.0 16V conversion on yours, replace every seal and gasket, replace the oil and water pump, new dizzy and rotor arm, new rubber mounts, new clutch etc for £1000, I did the exact conversion on mine in feb for £1000, well worth the cash

Back to the top
your looking at at least 1.5k for a 20vt build dude thats probs why no ones mentioning it. my mate has built countless 20vt conversions (he's obsessed i think) and he always spends bout 1.5k and thats with a donor car.

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=73039&highlight=

Back to the top
Be tricky to do a 20vt for a grand, it could be done but you'd need to buy as much as you can 2nd hand.  Keeping the VW management would save a lot and depends how your fabrication skills are, you can save quite a bit making stuff yourself.  1st one I did came in at about £1200, made lots of bits myself and used as much stuff as I could that I had lying about and kept the VW ecu.  Was never how I wanted it though, lost track of how much i've spent on this one and it'sin pieces at the moment. :(

For a grand i'd go with a 2L 16v.

'81 1.8T
BMW R1200GSA
Caddy 2k 1.8T

Back to the top
Climbatize, me being mixerman's mate with the vr6, if your worried about spending loads and not wanting to split a good vr you could take whats left of mine (everything minus the interior and alot of rust) For £500

162k not 140 sorry ODB2 (coil pack)
a few pics on here
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=562647#562647
or
http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?364382.0

Back to the top
i was thinking about this topic today as i read it the other day, why don't you decide what conversion you wont to do and save for that instead of setting a budget becuase i think your end up regretting your choice and think if only i saved 300 more i could of done a different engine you would of been happy with

Back to the top
Just a little update, ive bought myself a G60 lump :) will fit it over the winter..

MK1 Golf 4x4 Build
MK1 Golf 4X4 | Facebook

Back to the top
lucky bugger... :P

booze and boredom, the greatest mix :)

Back to the top
keep us posted mate dont think there is a mk1 g60 on here :)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.