Skip navigation

?1300!

Back to the top

?1300!

Just bought my Mk1 Golf and have searched all the major insurance company's and the cheapest quote so far is….?1300.
im 20 and this is my first car, have no convictions etc.
my golf is a MK1 Driver-automatic-1598cc-3 door

if you think there is a company out there who will be cheaper, let me know please

cheers

shorey

Back to the top
you're stuffed really! the only thing i can think of is lowering your annual mileage and upping your excess!? i would suggest trying classic car insurance companies but at 20 you'd be hard pushed to find a company to cover you.

Back to the top
i just got my self a mk1 1.3 driver as my first car and they want to charge me ?2100

Back to the top
jesus that much for a 1.3…thought mine was bad. are you in a similar situation to me? young with no experience etc
have jus had a quote from quinn direct for 1200, 100 pound a month is managable. it'll go down by about 600 pound next year because i turn 21! such a rubbish system

Back to the top
try yes.co.uk and then they should come up with a company called sabre.  Free courtesy car and europe insurance and about ?1000 cheaper than my other quotes from the majors. i am 19 and have a write-off in the last year costing ?3000 and no other convictions with 0 years no claims on a 1.8GTi cabriolet (group 15) and i am paying ?1600.  well good!

New bonnet on the way. :-)

Back to the top
cheers GTIJoe
Will have a look now and keep you informed

Back to the top
the reason they charge you so much is because the car is very stealable.  Even when i declared the thatcham cat 1 alarm it didn't go down by much.  adding a tracking device is seriously worth it though, put one in on my old car and the insurance dropped by around ?200 pounds.  not as much as the tracker cost but will be lower next year and year after etc. a good investment

New bonnet on the way. :-)

Back to the top
My 1983 1.6 carb when i was 21 last year ( with no no claims)was 700 fully comp with 250 access only doing 3000 miles a year as a student and that was with tesco.
by far the cheapest i could find.

My car was garaged over night and i never had an alarm at the time

Back to the top
Shorey, where are you based?

If you're in the city and/or a student, try Endsleigh.  www.endsleigh.co.uk

If you're out of the city, try Liverpool Victoria.  www.liverpoolvictoria.co.uk

I was quoted ?700, age 20, 1year NCB.  I then moved to Cardiff and the same quote turned into ?1500.  Phoned up Endsleigh and they cut it back down to ?900.  That's 8000 miles a year, 1000 of those as business use, fully comp, 90 days European cover, courtesy car thrown in too.

Still a ripoff, but a bit lower.

Back to the top
Did they do a 1600 Driver automatic?

Back to the top
since found out he owns a mk2...

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top

mk1john said

since found out he owns a mk2…

Who?

Back to the top
shorey, his 1.6 auto driver is a mk2

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
Oh… well without trying to sound mean, serves you right!  Imagine, buying one of THOSE!

:wink: Just kidding you mate.  Has phoning around got any lower quotes?

Back to the top

Re: ?1300!

Shorey said

Just bought my Mk1 Golf and have searched all the major insurance company's and the cheapest quote so far is….?1300.
im 20 and this is my first car, have no convictions etc.
my golf is a MK1 Driver-automatic-1598cc-3 door

if you think there is a company out there who will be cheaper, let me know please

cheers

shorey

try herts.co.uk special rates for vw golf owners i insured a 89 mk2 there fully comp for ?400 and thats with 1 year and im only 20yrs
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.