Skip navigation

Rubber bush on throttle pedal

Back to the top
Having read through a string of helpful posts from 2015 on the subject of refitting the hook on the pedal end of the throttle cable and its rubber bush, I've now been forced to give up (again and purely temporarily) as I fail to see how the new hard rubber bush is replaced in its ring on the pedal assembly.  The main problem seems to be that the bush is very hard  and very snug plus I can't get both hands anywhere near it!  Please can someone tell me the secret of doing this, step by step and without suggesting I need to lose weight!

Back to the top
It should be soft squishy foam type rubber

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
As I under stand it a good wine bottle cork whittled down a bit works as well.  There were 2 styles of Bushes one was large and the other smaller so make sure that you have the right one.  I can't remember if it was year based or transmission based.  

When mine went south, it was a foamy type of rubber, and I went to a laboratory supply house and got a rubber stopper with a hole in it and whittled it down,  I also used a fender washer on the other side so the rod went through on the left and the washer on the right as well as the clip.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
The Mk2 Golf used a hard rubber bush which last longer than the soft foam type fitted to a mk1 Golf.

To fit the hard rubber bush make sure it's warm as it softened the rubber (place it in some boiled/hot water for about 5 mins) and use some grease on the bush to help it slid in.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.