Skip navigation

Mk1 Cabriolet top adjustment

Back to the top

Issues with top fitment

I've got a 1990 Mk1 Cabriolet and the passenger side doesn't reach or engage all the way to the latch, it's not seating over the window on the rear passenger side. Something isn't lining up and I've not been able to find any videos on this in english. I'm unsure if it's bent, as I've got it currently being worked on. And he can't get the frame to reach the latch. Is there any adjustments or mount adjustments that can be done to make the top physically usable?

Back to the top
That is one sad top.
Possible causes that I have seen over the years
Eccentric adjustments out of wack or missing.
Top side cables out of wack or broken.
Bad rear struts.
Top frame oil points that are not lubed and free, (pay attention to the rear window pivots that are on the parcel shelf that they are free to spin.
Rear frame mountings that aren't correct and parallel to the Front frame.
Rear Windows that aren't correct in the Regulator that are preventing the top to close properly, as in the rear windows become a Pivot point Windows that roll up too high, or centered on the regulator. Which is why you should always roll your rear windows down a wee bit as in a couple of inches so the top frame can drop into position, and the rear glass doesn't act as a Pivot for the frame.

Foreign objects that have fallen in to the rear frame mechanisms.  I have seen Sun Tan lotion bottles, Squeaker toys, Baby Bottles, Tennis balls to mention a few.
How does this happen? The Head liner/parcel shelf wings that aren't fastened properly to prevent things rolling off the parcel shelf.

Top frame bent.
Collision damage as in tweaked frame of the car.

Top oiling points
Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 7.37.17 AM.png
Rear Strut (manual top) lower pivot mount.
Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 7.40.43 AM.png

Rear frame mounting Bolts.
Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 7.43.31 AM.png

Headliner wings, I used Rubber hoses split to fasten it to the Hing Cover, and my Favorite is a 2 inch Binder clip.
Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 7.49.12 AM.png

As it looks to be not falling correctly at the rear and that it isn't meeting the glass, I would pay attention to the rear frame mount/strut as if properly adjusted, and the rear strut isn't binding as in the strut is bent, or something is binding the mech at the rear preventing it from getting fully seated.

I would first pop the rear strut off the bottom mount to see if it is binding the top.

Last edit: by Briano1234

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.