Skip navigation

VIN number query for MOt

Back to the top
I've had the campaign in for MOT today.

Apparently the chassis number per the car is different to that held on DVLA / VOSA. He says he can't register the MOT because of the discrepancy.

Sent me into a bit of a panic but there's an extra "Z" in chassis number on the car plates which is not on the DVLA records 

So chassis number per car is … 17ZEW123456

However on my log book/DVLA is …..17EW123456

Anyone else come across this problem - know he's only doing his job but he says chassis number does not match 🤷🏼‍♂️
I've seen another campaign logbook today which is the same as my logbook - ie no extra "Z"

MK1 Golf GTi Campaign:Alpine White, Vauxhall Omega MV6, Alpina B10 3.3 Touring, Dolomite Sprint, MG ZT V6, Volvo T5 R estate  6C2B5B6F-1CA5-44CA-A93C-6B7F5206CD7F.jpeg

Back to the top
'Z' is a spacer or filler character, it doesn't actually denote the alphabetical letter.

Your VIN plate will possibly commence 'WVW' then 'ZZZ', before the '17 'Z' EW123456 portion you mention, again these 'Z's are just spacer/filler characters and don't strictly speaking form part of the chassis number.

From recollection (so check!) 'WVW' denotes 'W' Europe, 'V' Volkswagen, 'W' Passenger car.

The 'W' of 'EW' denotes the factory, in this case Wolfsburg.

You could probably argue either format, with or without the 'Z's is correct as all the info. is there, regardless of whether or not they're included..

Back to the top
Well he's adamant the Z is part of the chassis number 🤷🏼‍♂️

He has phoned VOSA who confirmed this.

Three options

1. Re-register car as todays date as "new vehicle" - NOT
2. Take it elsewhere for MOT
3. Wait till 5 October when it's 40 yrs old and no MOT due

I plumped for latter as some work needed on some bits (nothing serious) - so won't be on road for a bit anyway 

Bit overzealous if you ask me but he's gone through it with a fine tooth comb so happy it's got a quality "pass"

MK1 Golf GTi Campaign:Alpine White, Vauxhall Omega MV6, Alpina B10 3.3 Touring, Dolomite Sprint, MG ZT V6, Volvo T5 R estate  6C2B5B6F-1CA5-44CA-A93C-6B7F5206CD7F.jpeg

Back to the top
see:https://museum.cabby-info.com/vin.htm
Then
https://cabby-info.com/images/Body/sticker3.png

On my 93 I had a vin of:
Sample VIN: vwvcb5155pk01289
The Rain tray had vwvzzz155pk01289

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Don't follow the logic, or even why it was suggested you re-register the car as new… bizarre!

Perhaps in your situation it's a case of the DVLA computer won't accept him putting in a VIN other than exactly the one it expects and he's not comfortable tweaking things to fit, which is fair enough, it's his name on it and any future comeback.

You could go elsewhere and perhaps that tester may (or may not be) a little more flexible, however it's potentially just kicking the problem down the road to cause you issues again in the future.

DVLA have links on their site to deal with different V5 issues, one's specifically to address mistakes on them.

I think any of their staff who knows what they're about will easily see what's going on and may even resolve it over the phone or in writing, the very most you may be asked to do is produce the vehicle for inspection.

Your call, personally I'd get it sorted now regardless of the car being MOT/Tax exempt soon.

May even potentially interfere in that process (if you get another person who does everything by the letter) as you have to apply for / register the car as historically exempt before getting to tax free status.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.