Skip navigation

Replacement wishbones

Back to the top
Hi  all.
I've noticed one of my front wishbones appears bent, either its clouted something or a previous owner has jacked the car up under it.
Figured I might as well get a new replacement with new bushes, fixings & balljoint etc, the Febi ones seem a good price but I've read one or two comments saying the quality of them isn't great. Is there a better quality alternative, or are the Febi ones good enough?
Thanks.

Back to the top
I fitted them to mine in lock down and they seem ok, they are not as good quality as the original VW ones.

The paint finish was not brilliant on the new wishbones so I did touch up some of the chips and thin paint on the edges just to keep the rust at bay.

I know some have welded the new wishbones to make them stronger but I think it's not worth doing as if I do hit a kerb etc I would much rather the wishbone bend then the frame of the car.

If you don't have one I would recommend fitting a lower strut brace while everything is apart, it makes a massive difference to the handling and my reduced under steer.

They come in red as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162741613367?hash=item25e427f337:g:95UAAOSwOn1ahxI4&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8OViDKfrcoVgUGmJO%2Fmc5CqUMgmd5XpdeyCq%2BwPkg26baCK7MTF%2Fpr0djs5dhGnRYwf9adayY9RybsHdVaSHVW%2B5i94Fx78IpGB6R2aLRmXmBrF%2B4%2F5on%2F2yO7ZXZFdOVIDbcnEVRHAbGHJ3KSrVBsLvKEA3qXraG8rUiteEaprY1BctfCClxvY%2BUjTxNKbvPeQfeZMkgQdl1CnFWyVyz4zmGc8dhYlaswf8I3V0EmQzCTiGiirX6QzSTtf6cQAs5OQvQYVcJyEk1voM%2FKeYTYEOmGA12AGwasiWL4a1ZU2va9JBQBOrYdMO5cve%2BYnqrg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM0oSd7qhi

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thankyou for that, I think I'll go with the Febi then & maybe give it a fresh coat of paint before I fit it.
The strut brace looks good, does it fit onto existing mounts? Any reduction in ground clearance or is it tucked up out of the way?
Thanks.

Back to the top
The strut brace uses the 2 long bolts which hold the wishbone on at the front.
No clearance problems if you have a manual gearbox and standard engine.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top

Replacement wishbones

I also brought a plastic cap from eBay to cover the end of the strut brace, sprayed in some waxoyl and fitted a cap.
You can see the bolt here, you do need a deep socket to fit the bolt and only torque the bolt up when it’s on its wheels, I placed my car on some breeze blocks so I could get to the bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
That looks great, thankyou.
I think I might treat her to a strut brace, and if you dont mind I'll nick your idea about the plastic caps too.

Back to the top
I'll find the link to the ones I brought from eBay so you get the right size.
I thought the cap would be a good idea as I can just see the end getting stuffed full of mud, water etc as you drive along..

Lower strut brace is the best upgrade to a cabriolet, the later cars new from the factory came with a lower strut brace fitted from new…

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.