Skip navigation

Rubber cam cover gasket leaking

Back to the top

Rubber cam cover gasket leaking

Hi all

I have just changed the old Cork cam cover gasket for a rubber one with metal inside, and swapped the studs for the ones that come with the rubber gasket, but it leaks profusely…

It seems like the non threaded centre part of the studs are too long so the nuts tighten down onto them rather than compressing the cover onto the gasket.

I have also tried adding washers under the nuts to help with that but still leaks out the back of the cover.

I did use sealant, but would that cause this or is there something I'm missing here?

Cheers

Back to the top
If you used studs that are spaced in the center rather than all threaded.  That is the issue. Some middle spaced ones have a narrower space.  
If you didn't get them fully seated Then they can work loose.

Second if the Gasket wasn't a good make, as there are some cheapie knockoffs there Victor-Rheinz makes a Metal re-enforced one that is most excellent. they will leak.

No sealant is needed and can actually cause seals to moove and not seal correctly.  The only and Only sealant that you need is the bottom corners of the Cam over seal.  

The cork ones are just as good if you know how to properly torque the nuts. and those 2 only use 2 drops of sealant (red) for the cam over seal where it connects to the cork.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Yes the studs are spaced in the centre rather than threaded for the full length.

I noticed after posting that there may have been a slight raised point in the cover so have straightened it out and refitted without sealant and with washers to allow the nut to tighten without bottoming out on the non threaded part.

Only tested it for a couple of miles but no leaks yet.

If it leaks again I'll try the brand you suggest. Thanks for your reply.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.