Skip navigation

Brake proportional valve

Back to the top
Hi, just replaced my old brake pipes and the valves below the master cylinder are shot and wondered what people have done to replace or remove them? I can't find them online anywhere but I've seen aftermarket ones for race cars but all have different lbs limit but have zero clue what to do.

Cheers Jason

Back to the top
IMG20230630122003.jpg

Back to the top
What year is the car? On earlier cars (mine is 83) they are residual pressure valves not proportioning valves (that was taken care of by the thing at the back near the rear axle). I replaced mine with aftermarket like you said, think they are the 10lbs ones - should say suitable for drum brakes).

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

paceman said

What year is the car? On earlier cars (mine is 83) they are residual pressure valves not proportioning valves (that was taken care of by the thing at the back near the rear axle). I replaced mine with aftermarket like you said, think they are the 10lbs ones - should say suitable for drum brakes).

Yeh so mines a 1982 1.6 GTi and it has the bias on the rear axle as well as these valves just under the master cylinder. I wasn't sure the actual name of them I've just seen it mentioned in other posts

Back to the top
I'd seen these valves which are 10lbs and thought about using these. Screenshot_2023-07-02-19-22-13-89_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

Back to the top
These are the ones I used https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164470776120

Back to the top

paceman said

These are the ones I used https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164470776120

Aww great and has there been no issues with these fitted with the rear brakes?

Back to the top
Nope, none whatsover.
The only issue I had was not tightening the unions up enough. Made a bit of a mess when I was bleeding all my brakes!

Back to the top

paceman said

Nope, none whatsover.
The only issue I had was not tightening the unions up enough. Made a bit of a mess when I was bleeding all my brakes!

Haha aye brake fluid is awful!
Lastly, obviously these are one way I don't suppose you have any photos of them fitted to yours do you? Just the master cylinder has been stripped so long I can't remember which pipe is which and don't want to put the valves facing the wrong way 😂

Back to the top

Brake proportional valve

You should have 4 outlets on your M/C.

Connect it so a front and rear are connected to the front outlet diagonally opposite and then a front and rear connected to the rear outlets for the opposite diagonals.  

Obviously you then fit the regulators I. The rear lines only.

I removed mine altogether when I did the disc conversion and once I fix the now pain in the rear fuel pump wiring I shall also be removing the bias valve near the rear beam. Might finally get it back on the road after 2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
IMG_20190520_211145.jpg

As Backinblack said, lines from mc are diagonally split.

Back to the top

paceman said

IMG_20190520_211145.jpg

As Backinblack said, lines from mc are diagonally split.

Might sound like a daft question but are the arrows both facing the same way on those valves?

Back to the top
They will be, yes.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.