Skip navigation

what thickness of carpet underlay are folks using?

Back to the top

carpets

Hi Guys,

Just looking to put the cabby back together and was thinking of fitting some underlay before I put the carpet back in  - thinking of 12mm but wonder if that would be too thick? and maybe not flexible enough?

Has anyone else done  this? and what kind of coverage would I need? should  i underlay the entire floor? up the sides and up into the footwell too?  even under rear seat?

regards

KP

Back to the top
Well I think it was 3/4 of an inch and only on the bottoms and up on the sides by the feet.

I know when I bought my 81, the difference in pad from the L to LS was 1/2 to 3/4 inch.  If you use a Dynamat type of barrier on the metal under that then you get better squeak deadening.  I have even seen folks dynamat the inside of doors to stop the tinny sound, but be warned to Dynamat the doors you start at the bottom and work your way up so that no water that bypasses the window seals can migrate under the Dynamat, similar to the way shingles overlap on a roof.

Start at the bottom and work your way up. over lap about 1/4 of an inch.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks Brian.
I have some Dynamat left over from a previous job - I plan to use that for the doors and rear panels ( under rear windows) The carpet underlay was really for a bit of padding to stop the carpet sinking and falling in from the edges. - 3/4 inch seems a lot? I was thinking 12mm was too much O_o

Back to the top
I used these guys for my underlay, its all pre cut to size/shape. Still not got round to fitting it though so not sure how much it will raise the carpet up..
Its quite an old looking green original type material , not really sure how much sound proofing it would give.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333476511778?hash=item4da4bfc022:g:8fQAAOSw-~teDocI

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 17.15.34.png

Back to the top

tnotty said

I used these guys for my underlay, its all pre cut to size/shape. Still not got round to fitting it though so not sure how much it will raise the carpet up..
Its quite an old looking green original type material , not really sure how much sound proofing it would give.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333476511778?hash=item4da4bfc022:g:8fQAAOSw-~teDocI

Screenshot 2023-05-09 at 17.15.34.png

thanks for that info. I've tried contacting them but struggling to get any response from them on Ebay -
were they pretty good to deal with?

what  does the quality feel like? do you know how thick it is? and does it feel quite sturdy?

Back to the top
I'll pop down the garage tomorrow and take a couple of  better pics for you. I don't remember it being a problem to deal with them. There was a 1-4week wait time on the order though. It sounded like it was an old school company cutting to order. 
It's quite  lightweight and kind of a 'pan scourer' type material. I'm guessing at 10mm thick but will check tomorrow with more pics. 

Back to the top
IMG_2780.jpg IMG_2779.jpg IMG_2778.jpg IMG_2781.jpg

Back to the top

what thickness of carpet underlay are folks using?

Fantastic, thanks. Looks about 10mm. I managed to speak to someone there and they are sending me a sample. Hopefully be all good. Many thanks for your help. It’s only taken me 9 years to get to this point . Waiting a bit longer for the right carpet/ finish won’t hurt .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
I used latex backed felt when I did mine https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182950799448?

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

paceman said

I used latex backed felt when I did mine https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182950799448?

That looks good too. How has it held up? And is it pretty easy to cut? 
Btw, Your build Looks amazing! 

Back to the top
Easy to cut with a decent pair of scissors, I laid it latex side down, and in some spots put double layers. I've still got the orignal underlay stuff in, but it was very compressed on some areas and the carpet wasn't laying flat. Being latex backed if you need to stick it down then contact adhesive works well.

Thanks for the kind words!

J

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.