Skip navigation

Advice on correct Brake Callipers Please

Back to the top
Hi All

I am slowly making headway with my ‘93 Cabriolet restoration.

I have conclusively established that a previous owner fitted a later Mk2 engine and gearbox. I've now fitted the correct EX engine albeit removed from a Scirroco. Hence I've just had a crash course in 90mm vs 100mm driveshafts because the Scirroco gearbox has 100mm output flanges whilst the drive shafts had 90mm inner CV’s.

I think I’ve now solved that problem but I'm now moving onto the brake discs and callipers. I want to canvass opinion which callipers I need before I part with money! Just in case PO has swapped hubs or something daft! Unlikely but you never know!

The Discs are 239mm Dia , vented and 20mm thick.

I think the callipers pictured are correct for the car and should therefore be Pt No 171 615 124 – or one of the many variations and/or equivalents??

I've attached pic of the calliper, pins and bracket - if that helps in identification.

I'm intrigued by the pins on which the calliper slides. All the illustrations I've found show solid pins with an Allen Key socket. Are the ones pictured here some obsolete alternative or some dreadful bodge? It looks to me as though the sleeve is not quite big enough in diameter and someone's used a bit of plastic to make up the difference! (Possibly a fairy liquid bottle?) Or is it just that the female Rubber/Plastic sleeves in the calliper body are worn out??

Any advice gratefully received (again!)

Cheers -  Peter

20230504_125020.jpg 20230504_125040.jpg 20230504_125105.jpg 20230504_125126.jpg 20230504_125149.jpg 20230504_125320.jpg  

Back to the top
wow those are some crusty parts, was the ride stored in a pet bog?

Yes a latter series Cabriolet with the 100mm axles can use a earlier Transmission with 90mm axles as the Spindles for the 93 are 100 and can use a 90mm axle.

But the 100mm axle is too big for the 90mm spindles.
Also take note that if your Circlip for a new hub isn't correct then when you replace the wheel, your transmission will never roll.

Correct squared eye clip.
Screen Shot 2023-05-04 at 5.15.31 PM.png

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Yes they are the right calliper's as fitted to lots of VW.
They do look to be in poor condition and the ends of the cylinders which you can see sticking out the rubber seal look rather rusty, I would consider buying some new callipers or getting the refurbished as brakes are very important.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
You can get them re-furbished for not silly money.
https://www.biggred.co.uk/caliper

They are a very helpful bunch.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Hello

My thanks again  for this info.

Perhaps I didn't make it clear, I'm definitely not planning to use these callipers again! I have or will have replaced everything in the brake system  by the time I've finished.

I'm really just looking for confirmation that these are the correct callipers - and that if I replace like with like, I'm doing the correct thing??

Thanks to Early 1800 for the info on the plastic sleeves. I'll have a closer inspection! (Still looks like a bodge to me…)

Cheers   Peter

Back to the top
think my '83 model year GTI had machined bolts rather than reg allen headed bolts with sleeve/tube, lots of slight variations over the years

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
If everything  is cleaned of rust and you can either use a modicum of copper grease or Brake silicone grease, the nylon bushes aren't needed and the Pins slide easily in the rubbers.
The Nylon guides keep the bolts and Bushes from Sticking in the rubber boots.

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 10.10.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 10.11.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 10.12.03 AM.png

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Great Info - much appreciated.

Now I know what I'm looking for! I'll certainly give Big Red a call….

Got the driveshafts & hubs on yesterday  :lol:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.