Skip navigation

Revs not dropping to idle

Back to the top
Hi all.

1992 Clipper 1.8 carb engine with factory carb.

It has sat rather too long since last used. I took the battery off and charged it over the weekend and put it back on and tried the car today.  After a minutes cranking fuel came through and the engine burst into life, but at about 2,500 revs.
I let it warm up, the revs didn’t drop, so I turned it off and , checked the hoses to the carb and they were hot, then started it again and this times the revs fall off to about 1000, so I ran round to use the airline at the filling station and pump up the tires.

I thought I would test it around the Leicester ring road and after a few miles the revs won’t drop again. 3000 revs sitting at the traffic lights. It was like that for about five miles, and then suddenly becomes normal within half a mile of home.

Any ideas to get me started?  Please don’t comment if it’s going to be “get a Weber”.

Thanks all.

Back to the top
Accell cable that needs lubed, the internal cable sticking in the sheath,  Can POP the Cable off and use Tri-Flow spray in to the cable, then hang the cable via a string or rope up in the air so the lube has a chance to work.

Sticky linkages on the Carb not allowing the butterfly to return to normal, seen this on cars that have set a while and the Butterfly and Mech gets gummy.  Heat and use eventually unsticks it, cleaning and lubing the Mech and Carb can clean.

Vacuum leaks can also cause a variety of issues, just some of the things I have fought over the years.

Decades ago I had a return spring on one of my SU carbs on my MG Failed, causing a similar issue and I got a ticket for going 40 in a 35, in second gear as it wouldn't throttle down,  sad part was I was only a mile from the house after driving it that way for about 45 minutes.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for the suggestions.  The vacuum hoses do look dodgy so as they need doing anyway, I will try them first. I have seen others find that this fixed things for them.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.