Skip navigation

Check list for 8year non driven golf MK1 GTi cab 1.8

Back to the top
Hello just bought myself a golf MK1 GTi cab and was wondering what I should check out before driving it.

Just redone all break lines, handbrake, suspension, removed all surface rust and just sent it to body shop for a full respray. It was stored in a dry closed garage which is good.
Cambelt done, new battery and electrics as cable was eaten by something, the roof was in excellent condition so that's ok. It did start fine and sounded great when I picked it up on trailer  to take to body shop.

Obviously any other problems will appear once it has been driven properly and will drain all fluids but was wondering what else I should check or do before starting it and driving it properly, thank you! IMG_20230409_152722.jpg

Back to the top
I'd put a new fuel filter on it. Check the filler neck for rust, and if you can, the tank. Filler necks do rust and then you get all kinds of nasty in the fuel system. I'd check the ignition elements over (dizzy cap, rotor arm, plugs, leads). Otherwise it sounds like you've done the obvious.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Ok thanks for the reply I'll take a look at the filler neck and also check the the tank for any inside rust. And the ignition seems ok but will check over when I get it back from paint shop.

Back to the top
If it hasn't been driven in a while.
New Brake Pads, and Shoes, wheel Cylinders and Caliper rebuild kits or new Calipers.  I would change out the rear bearings and shoes, and drums along with both parking brake cables as when you button it back up you are done for a couple of years or more. 2 rebuild kits for the Calipers and a Brake hone is cheaper than 1 new or rebuilt caliper.

Change the MC, as you don't know what it looks like internally the seals could be shot and Crusty.

The Cabbies use a vented rotor, and Vented rotor pads they are about 1/8 inch thinner than solid rotors and you cant use solid pads on vented rotors they fit, but you can't get the caliper back on Ask me how I know… and ask me how bow-legged the parts guy was when I took them back and shoved them where the son don't usually shine, unless your a plumber.

You don't want to take your new ride out and meet someone new by accident.

Doing all the other fluids are fine, but don't go cheap on the brakes. You don't know how the internals are unless you have replaced them.  One of the first things I do on a new to me car.  

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.