Skip navigation

Auto starter replacement!

Back to the top
Hello, 58C8F06D-8905-4B95-ADCE-1787794AFF41.jpeg I just picked up a 91, the starter doesn't do ANYTHING. I removed the connection from the ignition and jumped it with the battery - nothing 

I assume this starter is dead. 

Now, any tips on replacement? What angle to go at it? Where to access it and what to remove? The autos are a pain from what I hear   

Below are a photo of the car and a photo of the wire I jumped on the starter.

337E3F17-80FD-40B8-8351-51CAA2CA645C.jpeg

Back to the top
I formatted this correctly before posting but it looks like it got messed up, apologies.  

Back to the top

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Back to the top
That is the only way you can do it.  Jack the car up place on stands.  Use the Back Y bracket to hold the starter iin position so you aren't straining.

DO NOT FOGET to install your heat soak relay, as that is the issue with these guy's most of the time.

Read all the pages in the linked document as there is some good info in it.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

That is the only way you can do it.  Jack the car up place on stands.  Use the Back Y bracket to hold the starter iin position so you aren't straining.

DO NOT FOGET to install your heat soak relay, as that is the issue with these guy's most of the time.

Read all the pages in the linked document as there is some good info in it.

Hopefully the last one… do you know the bolt thread pitch for the bracket, Where it bolts to the block?

Mine were missing. The heat shield was holding it to the back of the starter 

Back to the top
the bracket part number is 5911023A it attaches to the rear of the starter and on the block below the starter.
it is a m8 bolt 1.25 or 1.00 pitch I cant remember the pitch abut 3/4 of an inch M8 starter.png

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

the bracket part number is 5911023A it attaches to the rear of the starter and on the block below the starter.
it is a m8 bolt 1.25 or 1.00 pitch I cant remember the pitch abut 3/4 of an inch M8 starter.png

Thank you!! 

Hoping the new starter solves the issues lol. Old one came out in pieces, it was half disassembled in the car. Also wired wrong 

Upon correcting the wiring and getting a buzz from the starter when getting 12v, I noticed the ignition wire isn't sending power out of the cabin so that's next. Previous owner seems to think the interlock relay bypass they did years ago is acting up. But I'm not sure yet. 

Back to the top
No start hot or cold, see this:
90-93 Automatic No Crank Hot, or Cold | Volkswagen Owners Club Forum

The caveat is that the car will start in every gear so be warned.

Also if you have the brush wipers on each side of the shifter rod, the Bristles can break off and fall over the shifter top, as you move the shifter from D to P, then yu push the bristles under the park switch insulating it from the shorting bar, and thenre by the interlock never is engaged. If you move the gear selector to N and the car starts then you have to clean the Bristles out of the parking selector.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.