Skip navigation

My new thermostat won't open

Back to the top
I had a cracked thermostat housing and I figured I might as well replace the thermostat while I have access to it. I bled out as much air as I could when I filled the system back up with coolant but I suspect there's still air in the water pump area. Is there some sort of bleeder valve on the water pump? Could something else be causing this issue?

Back to the top
There is no bleed valve.

What year car and type of coolant system do you have, top fill radiator or expansion tank near the brake servo?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

There is no bleed valve.

What year car and type of coolant system do you have, top fill radiator or expansion tank near the brake servo?

I have a 1984 Cabriolet, it's a top fill radiator.

Back to the top
They are a pain to bleed the air out.

What I do is make sure the car heater is set to hot, undo the top radiator hose at the radiator end, fill the radiator at the cap till coolant comes out the top hose exit. Lift the top hose and pour coolant directly down the hose into the engine till it's full then quickly fit the hose to the radiator, you will probably lose a bit of coolant when fitting it to the radiator.

Leave the cap off and squeeze the bottom hose several times and you should hear coolant moving around and the level in the radiator should also move, add coolant if needed.

Start the car with the cap off, the coolant level may drop a little more, squeeze the bottom hose a few more times  to get rid of any air and let the car tick over for a few minutes without the cap on.
Fit the cap and feel the coolant hoses around the engine to check the are getting warm, the bottom hose should be the last hose to get hot.
Keep an eye on the temperature gauge and check you have hot air from the cars heater, wait for the coolant fan to come on and go off then switch the engine off and leave to cool for a few hours or over night then check coolant level.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Drilling a hole in the t-stat lip 1/8 inch prevents this as well as the proper filling technique.

That is to fill the engine block first with the upper radiator hose attached to the block, then reverse the process to fill the radiator.
Followed by then filling the expansion jug.

Start the car allow the radiator to come up to temp, cycle the radiator fan one time and burp the upper hose.

let cool, then top off the expansion jug.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try filling the system with these steps and see how it goes.

Back to the top

Re:

tomfooled said

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try filling the system with these steps and see how it goes.
Never had any problems in the past filling the Cooling fluid just normally start it then fill it

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Do not know a lot but willing to help if possible

1989 Sapphire Blue Mk1 Cabriolet KR
1985 Atlas Grey Mk2 GTI 2.0 ABF
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.