Skip navigation

Golf 1 as first car

Back to the top
Hello lads
In a year or so I’ll be 18 and will be able to get a drivers license. I know how to drive and I know how to drive a manual. I normally drive a off road land cruiser when we’re on trails and Im thinking of getting a golf mk1 as my first car do you guys think it’s a good idea .
I don’t mind working into it (I’d actually prefer to work on it )
I want to make it a clean simple build
1 fix it up (dents, scratches ,rust,etc. )
2 change front and rear bumper to the thin euro ones
3put a small lip on the front
4 possibly change the hood to one that has better hood lines
5 lower it  and put a nice set of wheels
Do you think it’s a good idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
I don't see why not, so long as you can get a fairly well up together example for whatever budget you have. They're generally pretty reliable, fairly simple to work on and parts are readily available (depending where you are in the world I guess)

Mine is pretty reliable (touchwood) albeit from some dodgy old electrics, but its a total money pit with all sorts of small issues that need sorting. I'd probably not want to use it for a long daily commute either  

Back to the top
My first car was a Mk1 1300 Driver, loved using it as my daily (even did my test in it). My second car was my Mk1 GTi, used that as my daily driver for many years also. The standard GTi is actually a very comfortable car to use.  I'd definitely recommend, but buy the best base car you can to have something reliable and not rotten. It won't be much fun if your daily driver keeps letting you down. Worry about all the mods you've listed afterwards.

Back to the top
My mk1 was actually my second but prior I didn't cared about cars. Was far from technical but here we are seven years later. All of my car knowledge originates from my Golf. I would say go for it!

ReinoutMK1
1983 Golf 1  GTI  1.8 16v

Restoration topic
Resto on Instagram
Personal Instagram

Back to the top
I would say look into insurance before you buy anything - you might find it's crazy money or even struggle to get insurance.

That's just for a standard car… when you start talking (or not talking…) about mods, things may escalate quickly!

Also similar to what others have said - if you have a long daily commute and not a lot of spare cash to burn, it might not be ideal.

BUT - with all of that said, mk1s are awesome fun even in 1.3 guise. Mk2s also worth a look and cheaper (but no cabriolet option ;) )

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Back to the top
It's a perfect 1st car.
Simple to work on.
Parts mostly available and cheap.
Reliable.
Comfortable enough drive & will keep with modern traffic.
Going up in value.

What's not to like?

Just don't ruin it by lowering it or any other daft modifications.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.