Skip navigation

Mk1 Instrument Cluster change

Back to the top

Can you use slightly different clusters??

I'm struggling to find the correct cluster for my 1990 Clipper

Faulty Unit 155 919 035  /  155 919 059 b

Anyone know if a slightly later version would do the job?

this is the faulty unit Image (1).jpeg
Image.jpeg

Would this work as a replacement? (below)
Image (2).jpeg

Back to the top
While it is doable, it's certainly not a straight swap.
The connectors are different so you would need the different plugs wired into your dash loom.

The mount points are different too which requires either  adding new holes to where the cluster mounts into the dashboard, or moving the pins on the side of the cluster (the ones at bottom left and right of your 2nd picture.)

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top
It's not just slightly later its from a different car (MK1 vs Mk2)

Whilst it's possible to fit anything to anything with enough time, £ and effort, to give yourself a fighting chance I'd look continue to for a MK1 part so it's atleast from the same model of car.

What's the fault with the ones from your car?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

the_whip said

While it is doable, it's certainly not a straight swap.
The connectors are different so you would need the different plugs wired into your dash loom.

The mount points are different too which requires either  adding new holes to where the cluster mounts into the dashboard, or moving the pins on the side of the cluster (the ones at bottom left and right of your 2nd picture.)

Thanks, Noted

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

Whilst it's possible to fit anything to anything with enough time, £ and effort, to give yourself a fighting chance I'd look continue to for a MK1 part so it's atleast from the same model of car.

Told the unit has failed and is causing an issue with the battery becoming flat/not holding charge

managed to source the correct unit now

Back to the top

Jim77Wig said

Early-1800 said

Told the unit has failed and is causing an issue with the battery becoming flat/not holding charge

managed to source the correct unit now

Good luck with the new one.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.