Skip navigation

Respray

Back to the top

Recommendations on a mk1 respray

I need to respray my mk1 Black gti, I'm happy to strip it so it need pre and paint and a bit of work such as the rear wheel well rust sorted a bit of rust under the seal at the boot surround (it's gone through so a minor bit of fabrication to sort and a small dent in the rear near side panel, other than that the cars sound naturally there will be a few bits of hidden rust but nothing major, cars is currently in the Cambridge/Bury st Edmonds area happy to trailer it to the right workshop! Any recommendations and ideas on cost would be appreciated! I'll document the process and post on the forum! I would like to keep the work around 1.5 k - 2 k

Thanks in advance

Nick VW Golf Slick 50-006.jpg

Back to the top
Hi Nick,

I don't know that area, others my chime in.

From experience I think your budget is a little on the low side unless you can find someone who would fit it in between jobs and therefore take a lot longer to do it.

Will it be a glass out respray including all the door shuts? You will probably find more rust in the seams under the window rubbers as well.

With resprays it is all in the prep of the panels and that is where the cost can be sunk. Do you want the panels super straight and the finish to be concours level?

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks

yes it will be a glass out respray, ill do all the stripping and rebuilding, so its the prep and paint and a bit of work where mentioned before.

Im not in a great rush for it as long as it safe where the work is being done im happy for it to be fitted between jobs.

Its not going to be concours car, however naturally i want it  done well, and i'm sure any painter worth their salt would not want to do a Sub Standard job! im not changing the colour or using any special paint, just back to standard.

I had a Corrado VR6 respayed a few years back same thing, full strip down and a bit of dent removal/work on the rear sills and that came in at £1800 for a metalic pain, and he did a superb job, kinda wished i kept it seeing the prices now:)If theres anyone out there that can do it or can recommend that would be great. no to picky about the location however near london or the south would be handy as i would like to photograph the work and pot up on hear to share

Thanks

Nick

Back to the top

Respray

I can recommend a company I use a lot, “autobodykraft”. They are near Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire. Tel: 01525-237179
They have re painted 2 mk1 golf’s for me and they are currently doing my third. I must add that their work is top quality so you would need a bigger budget…. if you decide to call them up for a chat quote my name (Andy Mac) and you may be offered a preferential rate…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Thanks Andy how much are you paying for your resprays if you don't mind me asking?

Nick

Back to the top

Respray

Hi, no problem…

The last job was a cabrio in metallic blue, there was no bodywork to do and no door shuts to do, just a prep and repaint due to it having a previous cheap/bad paint job prior to my ownership, and I paid £1800.

It looks like you have a nice car there, so it would be a shame to spoil it with a cheap paint job. As you probably know, body and paint work is highly skilled and very Labour intensive, equally, cutting costs by cutting corners is possible, but can make or break the car overall, including resale value, and once a car has been badly / cheaply painted it costs triple to rectify…

Its difficult to comment on likely cost on your golf without seeing it, so my advice is to get a few quotes and go from there, and go for professional/quality.

Doing the stripping and refitting will save you money and is easy diy-able, the rest is best left to the professionals…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.