Skip navigation

What seems like high revs under hard acceleration

Back to the top
Hi my mk1 golf gti seems to rev excessively under hard acceleration and not accelerate, under light acceleration it is fine, say for instance I am in 5th doing 60, if I floor it the engine revs excessively but the car does not seem to match the acceleration? Any help and advice would be much appreciated, I've only just become the owner and didn't really notice it on the test drive? 

Back to the top
Welcome along,

Sounds like the clutch is slipping. Does it do it in any other gear?

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Yep, sounds like clutch slipping. On a Mk1 Golf it is manually adjustable, its definitely worth giving it a tweak since its a 5 minute job and would save needing to change it!

Back to the top
Thanks for the reply's, yeah it does it in every gear under hard acceleration, How do I adjust the clutch? Thanks again 

Back to the top
yeah I would say clutch as well but as it's slipping sounds like your friction material is almost gone. Need a new clutch matey 

Back to the top

Baggy19 said

Thanks for the reply's, yeah it does it in every gear under hard acceleration, How do I adjust the clutch? Thanks again 

There's a 17mm nut on the cable which can be used to adjust its length, adjust it so there's a little bit of free play in the pedal at the top, eg about 20mm or so.

You don't want it so the pedal is fully up but the clutch isn't fully engaged…..because it will slip.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.