Skip navigation

Mk1 Cabriolet- Lights wont turn on

Back to the top
Hello everyone!

I bought a Golf MK1 Cabriolet last week. Everything was fine until  yesterday when the lights wont turn on. I opened the switch and I saw where is the problem, the plastic were a bit melted and didn't make any contact, that's why I put a cable to connect them and every time when I was starting the engine they were working perfectly fine. Now the problem is they won't come ON if I start the engine, the wipers stopped working as well. When I pull up the lost for the long beams all of the lights are working and the wipers are moving as well :D Is there any ideas what can be the issue or where?

Thanks,
Niko

Back to the top
The headlight switch, High beam and wipers are controlled by the load reduction relay or "X" circuit.

The "X" circuit is controlled by the ignition switch.

If your headlight switch is bad as you suggest, replace it, then check all your fuses and the load reduction relay or "X" circuit.

Here is a link to a test of the circuit.
The "X" Circuit from the Ignition Switch. | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

The headlight switch, High beam and wipers are controlled by the load reduction relay or "X" circuit.

The "X" circuit is controlled by the ignition switch.

If your headlight switch is bad as you suggest, replace it, then check all your fuses and the load reduction relay or "X" circuit.

Here is a link to a test of the circuit.
The "X" Circuit from the Ignition Switch. | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum

Thank you so much Briano123 ! ! !
I'm living in one of the Canary Islands and ordering a new part will take ages, hopefully tomorrow I will find a 2nd hand relay from a scrap yard.

Thanks again,

Niko
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.