Skip navigation

Mk1 Golf Cariolet (Mk3 Golf 1.9 TDI) Suspension Set up

Back to the top

Advice on suspension for 1.9 TDI conversion

Hi,

This is my first post;
I'm heading up to Stirling tomorrow evening to buy a Mk1 project, just had a mk3 Golf 1.9 TDI engine and transmission conversion. Engine runs smoothly, no issues, just some linkages to tie up, probably the wiring, fuel pipes etc - all of that I can probably figure out one way or another. My problem currently is that the motor is sitting very heavy on the NSF spring, i'll tip it and see if the spring/shock has collapsed but - having a saunter on the forums I noticed that Bert (who has done a similar job) had issues with weight on the front springs after his mk3 polo engine swap. I couldn't see anywhere he mentioned a fix so… to the question

Does anyone have any recommendations for spring assemblies - preferably coilovers - for a mk1 Golf that contains a mk3 Golf engine and gearbox.

Thanks,

Loken mk1 Golf Mk3 Engine.jpg

Back to the top
If you go for the BC Racing coilovers they have adjustable spring platforms and are also adjustable at the base for height.

This means you can adjust the spring pre tension separately to the height of the car.

Might be what you need

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Cheers Ian

These are a couple hundred more than budgeted to be fair but if it's what is needed for the job…

Back to the top
Just my thoughts though.

Give Mark Carter a ring and have a chat, he sells BC and knows about most of the other brands.

GAZ would be able to make you some and will install springs to your requirements.

Otherwise buy a cheaper set then uprate the springs with harder ones. Probably end up costing just as much through!

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Rally Design based in Whitstable and online sell coilover springs individually based on their rebound rate in lbs.

Years ago I got a set of eibach coilovers for a mk4 golf but had to buy the springs from them separately, I dont remember them being overly expensive

Last edit: by 1985

Current rides:

2003 BMW 330d Manual Saloon Msport
1985 GTI cabriolet black edition (42k miles)
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top

Current rides:

1999 Triumph Daytona 955i Post apocalyptic, rat, brat, scrambler, steam punk, cafe racer

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top
Thanks all. I've turned the project down however as they car need a full respray. Whoever had done the paint job left all the seals on and the paint had cracked everywhere. Underneath the seals is the old brown paint with signs of corrosion. I'm currently scanning the web for something more stock and simple to tinker on until Im more comfortable with the car. (With a cleanish shell)

Thanks

Loken.

Back to the top
Although it will be a bit more "peppy" a diesel engine in a cabriolet doesnt seem right to me.

They get put in caddys lots but somehow the idea of having the roof down and generally looking awesome would be ruined by engine rattle at the lights

Current rides:

IMG_20190803_123357.jpg

Back to the top

WATERNAIR said

Although it will be a bit more "peppy" a diesel engine in a cabriolet doesnt seem right to me.

They get put in caddys lots but somehow the idea of having the roof down and generally looking awesome would be ruined by engine rattle at the lights

You'd think but to be honest it's not that bad. The practicality of the engine makes up for that. Especially when I go to do the NC500. Plus the hood would only been down about 2 weeks of the year in Scotland lol.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.