Skip navigation

Temp light flashing after installing Mk2 cluster

Back to the top
Hello everyone!
So, recently i've installed the cluster from golf mk2 gtd to my '83 mk1 1.6 diesel.
Everything works as it should…except the coolant light. it flashes constantly. I know that mk2s have a low coolant sensor that triggers the light, but my mk1 does not have a level sensor at all, it only has temperature sensor.
So what do i do? From the mk2 cluster there is a low coolant level wire (pin2 on the cluster if remember correctly) which is not wired to anything, and i guess that wire is the culprit. Can it be connected somewhere to make the light go away?
Thanks!

Back to the top
Try earthing it.

It might work.

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
I have tried grounding it, putting 12v on it and connecting it to the coolant temperature wire. Nothing worked, it's still flashing.

Back to the top
The coolant low level sensor in the mk1/mk2 (Cabriolet) is a resistance thing, it only really works great with a 50/50 mix of af/water.
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3897464-Cooling-system-dash-light-blinking-intermittantly&highlight=resistance+coolant+low+level+sensor

^ check resistance of level sensor with digital multimeter Fluke 83 (US 1119)
^ must be between 31K Ohm and 65K Ohm with correct coolant leveland coolant concentration.

So if you go and buy a 50K ohm resistor and place it on the input side of the coolant low level circuit then all should be ok. that is pin 2/5 and 4/31 or ground.

if you don't have the low-level control unit you might try the 50K ohm resistor across the yellow wire that is t14/ 11 to Ground. 

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for the reply! But i solved it like this : ive connected the low level coolant wire to the black switched live wire (pin13) on the cluster. The light went out. :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.