Skip navigation

Rev Lights on dash?

Back to the top
So I'm new to the golf community and made a recent purchase to one! My old man loves it as it takes him back to being a teenager but he said the lights on the dash under the oil warning, battery, mainbeam etc should light up when you rev the engine, I can't find much about this or not sure who to ask. My engine was swapped out for a KR 1.8 from a Mk2 is this the reason they don't work? Also its now on twin Webbers instead of the injection system! Thanks in advance 

Back to the top
Hi and welcome.  The row of warning lights under the top row are mostly blank ones depending on model and no don't do anything when you rev the engine (unless you have a big electrical issue with the dash!)

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
I thought he was going senile  :lol: well mine definitely don't do that! Thanks anyway. What kind of models used them lights out of curosity?

Back to the top
Think that the deisel glow plugs are in the lower row

EDIT - No just checked the glow plug is on the top middle

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Does he mean the 'change-up' LED as fitted to GTIs with MFA, they are dependant on rpm?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
The change "up gear" light is show in this thread, it's in the MPG gauge.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=technical%2Felectrics_2%2Funtitled_33

That's the only light which VW has ever used, the blank bulbs underneath the main beam etc are for other stuff depending on what model car you have and where in the world it's being used.

Either someone fitted some sort of home made rev light to the original cluster or your father is mistake.   :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
It could be in reference to the Alternator/battery light that depending on the regulator and condition of the belts will stay on until you blip the rpms above 1000, then go out.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.