Skip navigation

MK1 steering rack mount

Back to the top

Steering rack mount

I have to replace the steering rack non power steering and have come across a bodge up with the mounting on the driver's side which has been pulled off the floor and welded to the wishbone But this has been done at least twice and I have no way of putting the mount back in position is there anyone making an replacement complete mount or at least point me in the right direction  PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP 

Back to the top
sounds as if they sheared the studs off the original mounting area…

If it still exists (the bracket that is), I have seen and heard of folks that cut the old bracket out, install new studs and re-weld them back on the car, and I have heard of folks that drill through the old studs, then drill through the fire-wall and install new bolts….  

They used a large fender washer /neoprene washer on the inside to seal, then a washer/neoprene washer and nut on the outer fire-wall to hold the stud then all bolted up fine. I have also heard of folks drilling through the firewall and welding bolts straight to the firewall.  

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Hi thanks for the advice But ..... The welded bracket has been pulled out of the floor not much damage as it pulled just on the welds just a pity the so called repair was not done properly is there any help with this part / Bracket ????

Back to the top
Sounds like you're going to have to get a cut from another car and weld it all in as one.

Got any pictures?

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Its not unknown for these to fracture, because i believe the one side takes all the load.. What i have done before, and would do again is weld a strap between the 2 mountings so the load is shared..

Back to the top
Can anyone help I am in desperate need of a solution to this or this is going to right  the car off Can anyone supply or help me make a new Bracket or has anyone got a shell I could remove one from big ask I know !! But please can ANYONE help 😐😐😐😐

Back to the top
sporttrucker

You still got a shell you're cutting up?

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Search for Raja Rahim on the book of faces, he's generally got a few Mk1's breaking :thumbs:

Back to the top
Can anyone help point me in the right direction of Raja Rahim please as I am still looking for a doner drivers side rack mount  PLEASE

Back to the top
I have one pm me

Back to the top
Hi not too sure how to pm you mate

Back to the top
use the send msg button on the bottom of your text after a post.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
for some reason I cant reply to pm's. I will get a pic of the rack mount I have later, it is already removed from the bulkhead.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.