Skip navigation

Mk1 Jetta 1.5 Carb, Starting issues

Back to the top
Hello all recently bought a Mk1 Jetta, the car wont start unless I spray some starter fluid in the carb and then cuts out straight away, so far I have changed the spark plugs, new fuel filter (old 1 had fuel in it so im assuming fuel is getting there ok) charging the battery up as we speak, any suggestions as to what the issue might be/solutions, (pierburg 1b carb)
Thanks in advance

Back to the top
If the car starts when you spray stuff into the carb I would guess your problem is fuel related, may not be getting enough fuel, blocked fuel jet in the carb.

Have to checked in the the fuel tank or blown down the fuel line from the fuel tank to check for blockages?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
not yet will try that this afternoon, which pipe am i blowing down?

Back to the top
If you remove the pipe which goes into the fuel filter then blow down the pipe towards the fuel tank, you should be able to blow down it with just your mouth and hear bubbles in the fuel tank.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
right so ive blown down the pipe and can hear bubbles in the tank

Back to the top
Do you get wet spark plugs and smell petrol when trying to start the car?

You might be able to see if fuel is being sprayed into the inlet from the top of the carb, you can on a Webber carb but I don't know with a Pierburg carb as I've never had to play with one…

Back to the top
i can smell petrol after turning it over for a while, will check the new plugs, ones i took out were pretty black

Back to the top
OK, just checking to see if fuel is getting into the cylinders.

If you remove the air filer and cover over the carb can you see down the carb camber and if you move the throttle does petrol spray into the chamber?

Back to the top
there a flap (choke?) over the chamber

Back to the top
I guess you still have an auto choke on your Pierburg carb?

Not sure how to move it out of the way as it's been 20 years since I've looked at a Pierburg so check your spark plugs.

I had problems with my original carb and the Pierburg carb is tricky to set up and get running right and it can be hard to find someone who has the "know how" to work on them, I gave up when I had a few problems with my carb and  because my car was my daily drive so needed it for work etc I bought a new Webber carb and fitted that, manual choke and easy to adjust/set up, a couple of hours work and I could drive my car without it stalling all the time and only working on full throttle so to get home from work I had to drive flat out then coast along, flat out etc….. :lol:Try searching the internet for help on the Peirburg carb.

Back to the top
I've still got the 1b carb that I removed from a 1.5 gl that I broke last year.
Can have it for  £30 if yours is knackered 👍

Back to the top
yeah think its still auto choke, will check the plugs
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.