Skip navigation

Help push rod stuck

Back to the top

stuck!!!

Hi new to the site: I have recently purchased  a cabriolet I went to replace the release bearings as they were screaming and discovered it was smashed to bits! I have now managed to removed the mangled bearing however the push rod seems pretty stuck! Any suggestions to get it out? Thanks  F5156C2E-0F4E-414F-8642-B418D0E37DFC.jpeg BEF404A1-B019-4B8E-872E-7351BDE0097C.jpeg

Back to the top

Help push rod stuck

I'm probably being a bit thick here but what part of the car are we talking about?

Clutch? The part looks too small to be part of the clutch mechanism….

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

If you want the PSD Boot Sticker file, it's here: Boot Sticker

Back to the top
Hi mate clutch push rod, taken out the release bearing but the rod is stuck! 

Back to the top
The Clutch push rod has been known to drill through the bronzelite bushing that is on the pressure plate, I suppose it could be stuck there or possible bent.

The throwout bearing is about 1 1/4 inch thick, so I can't tell if you are looking at all of it or partial.

I really never have seen a Clutch push rod Bend or Drill through, but have heard of it happening to others.

After the shift finger and axle shaft is removed a magnet usually removes it.

If the TO bearing is that nasty, I would be getting a new finger as well.  I usually changed the finger out with a clutch change, which you may be looking at as well then you will know that for 100K+ miles it isn't your clutch that is the issue.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Cheers for the reply, think it may be that then as it's proper stuck, I've had grips on it and everything however no movement so must have drilled through, going to be a garage job I think. It's done just over a 100k and been sitting for a number of years. Thanks for the info 👍

Back to the top
Cheers for the reply, think it may be that then as it's proper stuck, I've had grips on it and everything however no movement so must have drilled through, going to be a garage job I think. It's done just over a 100k and been sitting for a number of years. Thanks for the info 👍

Back to the top
Garage job, shoot, 4-hours and a new clutch kit and finger and Bob's your uncle your done.

May be 5 hours the first time, shoot I can Frankenstein an Automatic in 2-3hours.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
It may be best to remove the gearbox then you can check the push rod, new push rods are available, good time to check the input seal and brass insert.

Removing the gearbox is straight forward and can be done easily in an hour if you have the right tools as you need a 12 pointed star tool to undo the drive shafts from the gearbox flanges.

All you need to know about the gearbox.

Welcome to BrokeVW.com

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks for your replies will hopefully get it back on the road,  I'm going to have a think about trying the gear box myself however don't want to break it more 😂

Back to the top
I cant see the rod in the pic so are you sure its not the bearing that's split and half of it is still stuck in the box?

OEM-INA-Manual-Gearbox-Clutch-Release-Bearing-For-SEAT-VW-Bora-Jetta-Golf-2-3-4.jpg

I had one stick to the finger and when I changed the cable the arm dropped right down (plastic stop was missing) and it pulled the bearing out of the bore, then when I tried the cable it pushed it back in sideways. managed to save the box but a lot of hassle for trying to change a cable.

Back to the top
Hi mate the bearing was in bits have a new one and push rod to put in, got the bits of bearing out. But the rod has mushroomed on the end. Do you know if the rod is secured by anything? Ive attached a pic of the mangled rod end. I've tried plyers to get it out but no movement.  93835697-2B07-4C98-98A0-F18FAC9EA384.jpeg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.