Skip navigation

Electrical fire!

Back to the top

Replaced heater fuse and now I've got smoke coming out of the dash!

Hi All -
I have a 1981 1.6 carb Cabriolet, LHD. When I got it the heater/fan worked I think. It has been laid up over the winter and I am trying to get the most out of it now. I noticed recently that the blower wasn't working (on any speed) and first step was the fuse board. Lo and behold the fuse was gone so I replaced it, but no joy.
Today I have replaced my door cards and speakers, and while doing so had the battery disconnected. I reconnected the battery and switched on the radio to test that both speakers were ok (they were) and also switched on the blower in case something magic had happened (I knew it was crazy but there you go!). Nothing from the blower. Obviously.
I decided to run around the body work to get some dust off and whist doing the front I saw smoke pouring out of the bonnet vents under the windscreen (external). I ran round to the ignition and switched it off, then disconnected the battery again. I think that the smoke was mostly/exclusively on the engine side but I cannot be sure.
The three position switch for the heater is now fused into the on position, obviously having melted. This does not tally with the smoke being on the other side of the bulkhead though.
I wondered if anyone had any ideas on where to start my analysis? I suppose that whatever has gone wrong here is likely the same as whatever fused it in the first place. I assume it is a short, probably on the live from the switch to the fan?
I live in the mountains in France and don't have ready access to parts or mechanics so any help gratefully received. I'd love to get the parts ordered asap as even fast courier deliveries here can take an age!
Cheers for any help!

Back to the top
www.cabby-info.com has a how do I remove the blower fan, this way you can inspect your fan, and hopefully resolve the issue.

The switch you have is a 3 speed switch, if it is fused then you probably have melted it and a replacement is needed.

A lot of time it is the resistor for the motor that smoked.
There were two styles that I can remember, one was the resistor was in the motor housing, and another was in the heater box vents, passenger side on a LHD.  

I would start with the Resistor.
Bad connections and such can lead to heating up of things, common that I have seen are the plugs to the blower motor, the ground wire gets fried.
The second most common is the switch itself.

If you haven't replaced your Battery to Frame and frame to engine/tranny grounds yet you may want to consider that as well.

Inspect the wires behind the switch as well.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Yeah your bower would have seized up I reckon. 

Had the same happen to my early mk2. Switched the blower on, nothing happened, next thing I know I'm smoking and my switch was melted. 

New switch, blower fan and resistor and I was golden. 

Back to the top
New switch, I managed to resurrect my blower motor plenty of WD40.
But if it's deffo seized then as above.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top

Back to the top
Funny, as I did actually resurrect mine too after a good bit of lube. 

But there is nothing better than replacing old stuff with new. 

Back to the top
Super!
I'll get a new fan ordered to be sure, and a switch. Will the resistor be mounted already on the new fan? I cant find the resistors listed separately at any suppliers (mechatecnic/werk34/vw heritage etc).

Some list them, but only for the Golf 2 1984 -> whereas mine is an '81

Thanks for the wealth of info!

Back to the top

SteBingo said

Will the resistor be mounted already on the new fan? I cant find the resistors listed separately at any suppliers (mechatecnic/werk34/vw heritage etc).

Some list them, but only for the Golf 2 1984 -> whereas mine is an '81

Just been assured that the Mk1 ones have resistor supplied with them ready for mounting. Good service from Mechatecnic.
Cheers!

Back to the top
So - I followed the excellent instructions even though I disbelieved that they would work at times. Very easy job. Thanks!
When I got in there the heater fan was full of pine needles - a few had in fact blown out of the dash vets when I first used the car. I suspect these had caused it to seize and there lay the problem. New switch, new fan, lovely clean air.
Thanks again!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.