Skip navigation

Piper 280 ultimate road cam timing ?

Back to the top

Advanced or retarded ??

This might start a debate but does anyone know the best cam timing for a piper 280 ultimate road cam ? I have one fitted to a big valve head.
Today I decided to set up the cam by putting it back to original settings and it now struggles to idle… it was brilliant before I would like to add !!
I got distracted by a neighbour and forgot how it was to begin with haha.
Just hoping that someone has knowledge about this to save me hours of tweaking and swearing to get it right again !!

Back to the top
Had a look again today and reset it all using the original cam pulley, put the vernier pulley back on to line up the teeth ect and its much better now. Pulls really well like this. Still needs tweaking but is an improvement ! Idle is still  bad when cold but think this is down to a knackered thermo time switch. Also need to get some exhaust wrap as it gets a bit toasty in the car after a blast !

Back to the top
Think my head is going to explode !! Tried to set to dizzy timing to 6° and its killing the engine ?? Only seems to settle at about 10°??? And as soon as I switch lights and blower on it stalls ? I assume it can only be how the cam is set ? Really could do with some pointers as I am stumped…
Help please !!!

Back to the top
Not really up on hot cams but from what I've read/heard you wont get a nice smooth idle with that sort of cam?
 A few cars I've heard running with one fitted all seem to hunt up and down on idle..

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Lumpy idle seems to be the norm. I fitted the larger throttle body earlier and reset all the timing again from scratch and it seems a lot better now. Think the power is a bit too far up the rev range as it's absolutely flying at anything over 4000 revs ! The old girl is going on the rollers next week in the capable hands of someone who knows what they are doing lol.
Is still dying a bit when the lights go on which is a bit weird as it never done that before ?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.