Skip navigation

Dizzy cap 1800

Back to the top

what do I fit?

Think I need to change the dizzy cap on my mk1 1800 GTI, does anyone know what was fitted from factory? Is Bosch the right one to go for, if so where can I get one from, I've been looking most of the evening can't seem to find one?

Back to the top
What year is the car and whats the part number on the distributor?

Why do you think you need to replace it, have you checked the inside terminals for corrosion (it can be cleaned off)

Back to the top
1983 - the only number I can find is 1235 522 056. the cap does not seem to sit right it wobbles around until clipped? I'm not sure it is the right one, however, it could be the original one I cant recall changing it.

When I took it off the copper contacts were black, I cleaned them up and noticed that 2 of them have a bit of a grove in them, so hence why I thought rightly or wrongly change it? Interestingly when a mechanic was looking at it two weeks ago he said that the spark was not strong, maybe I have discovered the reason?

Back to the top

ians28 said

1983 - the only number I can find is 1235 522 056. the cap does not seem to sit right it wobbles around until clipped? I'm not sure it is the right one, however, it could be the original one I cant recall changing it.

When I took it off the copper contacts were black, I cleaned them up and noticed that 2 of them have a bit of a grove in them, so hence why I thought rightly or wrongly change it? Interestingly when a mechanic was looking at it two weeks ago he said that the spark was not strong, maybe I have discovered the reason?

Yes the corrosion of the contacts will limit spark but now they are cleaned it will be fine, you can take your time finding a new one. I have had better results with old OG bosch caps than with poor new replacements.  Clean the tip of the rotor arm too.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.