Skip navigation

1981 Gti Wiring

Back to the top
This is about my 1981 Mk1 GTi.

I failed to take a picture when taking out the wiring to the fuel gauge sender and fuel pump. I can't work out how to route the wiring now I need to re-install it. The loom has a grommet to take the wires from inside the cabin through to the outside for the wires to connect to the sender and fuel pump. I cannot find the hole where the loom should go!

P1010521.JPG

The picture shows the wires: four uncovered wires come from the main loom and go through the grommet to the two covered pairs which go to the fuel gauge sender (on the left) and the fuel pump (on the right).

Can someone take a photo showing where this goes please? Failing that, a clear description please.

Thanks. Phil Chambers

Phil Chambers

Back to the top

1981 Gti Wiring

Not 100pc but I vaguely remember it coming thru the wheel arch / liner area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
Thanks for responding gafo. However, the distance between the grommet and the fuel gauge sender connector is much to short to reach from the wheel arch area.

Phil Chambers

Back to the top

1981 Gti Wiring

Really hold on a second and I’ll check my car

Back to the top

1981 Gti Wiring

Seemingly I can’t post a pic cos I’ve reached my limit are you a what’s app user I’ll send you the pic I took

Back to the top

1981 Gti Wiring

No mate sorry I’m an old man and I don’t know how to attach pics . Don’t even try give me a step by step guide it never works

Back to the top

1981 Gti Wiring

If you take the back seats out  , there’s a hole in front of the big black disc which covers the fuel sender  the wiring goes in there along with your grommet

Back to the top
gafo, you have solved it!

You said it goes through a hole in front of the round disc that gives access to the fuel gauge sender. I have now looked closer and found the hole. That might sound daft but the hole was covered from the underside with tape when the interior was painted. The paint on the tape made it look as if it was solid metal and hid it completely. It was only when I pressed my finger on it that I could feel the tape give and reveal the hole.

Thanks again. Phil

Phil Chambers
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.