Skip navigation

​I need help with some wires.

Back to the top
I'm changing the radio for an original one, I found these 3 wires that were cut.
Could you tell me where to connect them or what are they used for?

In the second photo, both wires from the red cover were also cut.
Where do they go?

Thank you so much.

Back to the top
www.cabby-info.com has a diagram on which wires go were for radios installs.

Red was usually used for switched wiring, that is B+12V switched.

Yellow was the color for the Keep Alive (preset channels clock)

Blue was for the external powered antenna.

Brown red was used in the speakers on a non-active system, and the only white/yellow was for the speed sensor to increase the volume as in top up or down and road noise. Plain white could be either a speaker pair or another +12V wire to run the Antenna

You have some wire chasing to do I am afraid, but I will tell you to look at the back of the radio to see what you need…She has the diagrams there for those as well.  It isn't uncommon to tie in to the Defroster (demister) for +12V Switched power on new radio installations.

see:
http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/AudioSystem.pdf

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks for your answer Briano1234

Reading the car's intruction manual I have seen that the brown/red is positive after contact.

Anybody nows, Where do they go both wires from the red cover of the rear fog lamp?
They are positive and negative direct? or they are for a interior lamp button? 

Back to the top
If you follow the red wires back, hopefully you will see where they were jointed and then find the correct colours for them.

Fog Light
Green Yellow - Fog Light Relay Output
Other than that it shold have an eath (normally brown) a live (normally red) and a input from the head light switch which is probably grey and blue

Have a look through this lot

Central Electric 1

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Briano1234 said

www.cabby-info.com has a diagram on which wires go were for radios installs.

Red was usually used for switched wiring, that is B+12V switched.

Yellow was the color for the Keep Alive (preset channels clock)

Blue was for the external powered antenna.

Brown red was used in the speakers on a non-active system, and the only white/yellow was for the speed sensor to increase the volume as in top up or down and road noise. Plain white could be either a speaker pair or another +12V wire to run the Antenna

You have some wire chasing to do I am afraid, but I will tell you to look at the back of the radio to see what you need…She has the diagrams there for those as well.  It isn't uncommon to tie in to the Defroster (demister) for +12V Switched power on new radio installations.

see:
http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/AudioSystem.pdf

you sir are a gent!!!

fitted my VDO's Thurs/Fri evening and ive lost the front left right speaker connection somewhere along the line, think its when i was messing with fuse box as i can see the speaker connection is fixed to the car around that area!

now have to trace trace trace and find the problem, this link will help massively!

Back to the top
Euro stereo wiring:
red - live
brown - earth
blue/grey - illumination
yellow/white - speed signal
brown/red - key-in-ignition live

wiring to your heated screen switch is not original, I bet its been re-purposed for something else in the past, kill switch maybe.

it should have:
black/yellow - x-relay power
green/white - screen power
grey/blue - illumination
brown - earth

on your radio wiring, I can see a thick white/yellow as well, this might be from the fog switch (front fogs) so thats worth a check…

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
I boght my car three weeks ago and this wires have it cutted.

I don't have problem to connect the radio.

The problem is with the wires that appear in photos.
With your help and trying I already know what is the brown-red that is positive after the ignition key. The red with red fog button cover is direct positive and turns on the light of the switch.
The yellow-white comment that it is for the signal to the radio of the speed but there are two equal cables (one thinner and one thicker, as you can see in the photo and both are spliced).

I just need to know where is the black wire with red switch cover (second photo).

Back to the top
those switch wires are all non-original, dig into the dash wiring and see if you can find the original wires with the colours I mention

Also have a look at the CE1 section in here:
https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/fusebox-faq.219775/

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.